[Peace-discuss] thoughts on P4P

Ann-Marie Shapiro prairiewaves at insightbb.com
Sun Mar 30 08:21:42 CST 2003

Hi,

I also attended the P4P demonstration yesterday for the first time.  Here
are my thoughts.  These are simply ideas for the group- I realize that you
all have been out there faithfully for MONTHS, and that I am totally new in
terms of AWARE activities in general and the P4P action in particular.  I
make them with the utmost respect for AWARE's past tactics and decisions.

I want to say up front that I don't relish the idea of the "pro-troops"
[sic] counter-demonstration "chasing us away" from a longtime statement of
peace.  In fact, me and my family made a big effort to participate yesterday
just for that reason, despite the weather and warnings from 2 parents
against bringing young children.  I also want to say that we should not
allow a competitive zeal to win the hearts of people trapped in their cars
at that first stoplight to overly limit our opportunities for effective
actions throughout our community.

1. I am concerned that the more we "face down" the "other side", the more we
contribute to polarization of our community- whether we measure our
righteousness by how many people show up, or whether we simply fuel
ourselves through our knowledge that we are right.  (and yes, we are right,
there is no doubt about that).  No matter how hard I tried to ignore these
competitive inclinations in myself, I found myself feeling like I was in a
contest up there.  (Maybe it is just me!)

2. I am not the slightest bit bothered by people yelling, flipping me off,
etc.  I don't know if anyone else is bothered by this.  The more this
bothers our peacemakers, the less effective at making peace we can be.  It
may be jolting some people off center and out of their internal truth a
little bit.  I am not saying that this is so, or that I am in a position to
judge this- only that it is a possibility.  After seeing the low-level
conflict up there with my own eyes, and comparing it to the stories I have
heard from 3 different participants, I am guessing that it could be going
on.  Of course, last week could have been much more vehement than what I saw
yesterday, as well.

3.  I doubt that we can effectively educate people and counter the media
brain-washing at this point with brief slogans and statistics on signs.

4.  The statement posted here last week from 76 peace and justice leaders
has called for sustained, meaningful discussions with our local and
worldwide community to overcome the evil that is taking place by those in
power today.

5.  One possibility to reconcile some of this is to change our tactics quite
dramatically- not to be chased away, but to use the historical time and
energy of P4P to move out into neighborhoods and parks, hold vigils and mock
funerals, etc. whatever we think is needed- but do it in a different place.
Diffuse into our community more.  Engender a space and a mindset that allows
for the development of real conversation, the distribution of powerful yet
in-depth information, the fostering of community rather than the
polarization of it.

Examples: a quiet meditative vigil (possibly using subtle props like
encircling ourselves with a white ribbon, sitting in a circle, etc) in a
busy park followed by leafletting and discussions with parents who are there
with their kids.

A mock funeral along Florida Ave with the cemetary on campus as a
background.

Followed the next week by intensive leafletting door-to-door in southwest
Champaign on a day when everyone is outside working in their yards. Etc.

Followed by outreach into local churches to heal our community and find
common ground.

A huge open-to-all potluck under a pavilion at a busy park some afternoon-
posted with welcoming signs to the public.  "Bring your children over for a
snack".  No hardhitting posters or slogans, simply warmth and humanity and a
quiet mention of who we are, handing out of information for those who wish
to see it.  We will treat our neighbors as if we KNOW they will *become* our
co-workers in our efforts.

6. The community will KNOW we are alive and well.  Instead of seeing the
predictable showdown up north, with minds stressed by errands and traffic
struggles, they will be surprised to be greeted in a relaxed manner at the
park or at their doorstep by friendly smiling faces offering conversation.
Friends will mention it to each other.  If enough of us do it often enough,
the community will know that the peace movement is alive and well in C-U.
Massive rallies and marches would still be called for on a periodic basis,
because there is a great deal of goodness in these events as well!  Perhaps
in conjunction with international efforts such as April 12.

7.  We can listen to people, instead of simply giving information TO them.
This requires the right heart-set and mind-set, which I fear the Prospect
scene endangers.  This is one of the most critical aspects of communication,
and effective communication is the key here to changing the hearts and minds
of those who believe our Administration is doing the right thing for
important reasons.

The issue of whether we are being "chased away" is critical to the ongoing
energy and commitment of members towards group efforts.  It is not trivial
and it should not be avoided due to agreement on the other points (if that
should occur).  This particular dragon must be slayed entirely before a
change in tactics would work.  We would have to change tactics for positive
reasons that people believe in, and completely avoid the feeling that
efforts to date have been undercut or invalidated.

I probably cannot make it to the meeting tonight- my daughter used to nap
during the P4P time, and now she has shifted to even later hours.  But my
husband should be there (Michael Shapiro) and he spoke with Carl Estabrook
last week about similar ideas (in terms of being potential additions to
AWARE's activities).  Just so ya know why I have so many opinions but you've
never seen my face!  :-)

Take care,
Ann-Marie