[Peace-discuss] democrats 04 literature version 2

Peter Rohloff rohloff at uiuc.edu
Fri Sep 12 11:04:45 CDT 2003

Ok. I have taken everyone's comments and come up with this second
revision. I continue to welcome comments and corrections, especially
where I have made errors. With one exception:  I have already spent far
too much time on this flyer, and I am unlikely to take up suggestions
to add additional topics unless you do the research for me.

Text following:

Is there a credible progressive presidential candidate to oppose George
Bush in the 2004 election?

AWARE examines some key foreign and domestic positions for leading 2004
Democratic candidates....

WAR IN IRAQ

Lieberman, Kucinich, Gephardt, and Kerry were all serving Congressional
terms when the Bush administration proposed launching a war against
Iraq. Of the three, Kucinich was the only one to vote ‘No’ in the
Congressional resolution authorizing the commencement of hostilities.

In a recent interview, Joseph Lieberman stated: “I supported the war. I
thought it was the right thing to do. I feel the world is safer…with
Saddam Hussein gone”  (Radio Free Europe 08/03). Lieberman has been one
of Bush’s staunchest Democratic supporters. In 1991, he was one of the
cosponsors of the Congressional resolution leading to the first Gulf
War.

In contrast, Dennis Kucinich stated in February as the hostilities were
just commencing: "The facts are these, Iraq was not responsible for
9/11 or al Qaeda's role in 9/11 or the anthrax attacks on our country.
. . . Inspections should continue. They worked before, they can work
again. . . . This war is wrong." (Washington Post 2/03). He continues
to remain critical of the United State’s post-war occupation of Iraq,
and he is a strong advocate for the rule of international law.

Howard Dean, the former Democratic governor of Vermont, also initially
opposed the war: “I opposed President Bush’s war in Iraq from the
beginning. While Saddam Hussein’s regime was clearly evil…it did not
present an immediate threat to U.S. security that would justify going
to war, particularly going to war alone” (www.deanforamerica.com).
However, once the war began, he moderated: “"now that we've started we
can't stop ... we certainly can't pull the troops out." Currently, Dean
advocates for greater United Nations involvement in post-war Iraq.

The civil rights activist Al Sharpton has been an outspoken and
consistent critic of Bush policies. “[I]mperialistic go-it-alone
military-oriented foreign policy is shortsighted, unworkable & will be
too costly -- in money, lives, good will, & sound international
relations. A U.N.-ignored, but U.S.-led, pre-emptive policy of invasion
in Iraq has weakened the United Nations, the structures of collective
security & international law” (thestate.com 5/03). Carol Moseley Braun
has been critical of the Bush administration’s squandering of post-9-11
world-wide goodwill: “Rather than fritter that goodwill away in a rush
to preemptory, unilateral military action and in the process isolate us
in a country on perpetual alert, we would do well to foster cooperation
to freeze the very ground in which extremism and terrorism
festers….duct tape is no substitute for diplomacy and I believe the
people can and must demand an end to the saber rattling that has made
us hostages to fear" (www.selectsmart.com).

John Kerry voted ‘Yes’ on the Congressional resolution authorizing the
Iraq war but, in the aftermath of the occupation, has become
increasingly critical of the admnistration's militarism and
shortsightedness.  One activist in Kerry’s constituency remarks:
"Saying one thing and doing another is par for the course for John
Kerry. He tries to have it both ways.…He saves all his passion for his
speeches, but he’s got no conviction when it’s time to vote. Kerry’s
vote and position are based on nothing more than a political
calculation. He’s looking at those red states where George Bush beat Al
Gore and is going as far to the right as he has to to get elected
president" (www.weeklydig.com). Like Kerry, Gephardt voted ´Yes´ to war
with Iraq and, also like Kerry, he has apparently changed courses since
he announced his bid for the presidency; now he accuses Bush of
“chest-beating unilateralism’ and calls for renewed diplomacy and a
greater role for the United Nations (www.gephardtgrassroots.com).

PALESTINE AND ISRAEL

While occasionally styling himself as a peacemaker for the Middle East,
Lieberman is in fact  a strong supporter for most of the policies of
the Israeli occupation. In January, Lieberman met with Israeli prime
minister Ariel Sharon and reaffirmed his belief in Israel’s right to
‘self-defense’ and conceded that, with respect to two years of violence
and bloodshed, “the blame goes on the [Palestinian] terrorists”
(Palestine Chronicle 01/03). He was also a cosponsor of Senate
Resolution 247, which expressed solidarity with Israel in its ‘war on
terrorism.’

John Kerry takes a similar position: “Israel is our ally, the only true
democracy in a troubled region…America has always been committed to
Israel’s independence and survival we will never waiver”
(www.johnkerry.com). Gephardt easily glosses over any moral culpability
on the part of the Israeli occupying forces: “We must be steadfast in
our support of Israel. There is no moral equivalence between suicide
bombings and defending against them” (Associated Press 06/02).

Howard Dean favors a ‘two-state solution’ and admits that one criterion
for true peace will be the removal of Jewish settlements from
Palestinian territory. However, although he routinely calls for the
ending of Palestinian violence against Israel, he does not call for the
ending of Israeli violence against Palestine. He has expressed
unwavering support for Ariel Sharon, and feels that the United States
should ‘continue its historic special relationship with the state of
Israel’ (Palestine Chronicle 08/03).

Dennis Kucinich has been strongly critical of the United States'
preferential treatment of Israel: "The same humanity that requires us
to acknowledge with profound concerns the pain and suffering of the
people of Israel requires a similar expression for the pain and
suffering of the Palestinians…If we seek to require the Palestinians,
who do not have their own state, to adhere to a higher standard of
conduct, should we not also ask Israel, with over a half century
experience with statehood, to adhere to the basic standard of conduct,
including meeting the requirements of international law?"
(www.kucinich.us).

Although Moseley Braun has not focused much on this issue in her
career, during her career as a senator she consistently voted in favor
of pro-Israel legislation. Furthermore, in 1998 she was one of 81
signatories on a letter to President Clinton which criticized the
administration for considering putting public pressure on Israel and
blamed the Palestinians for derailing the peace process (aaiusa.org).
Sharpton has made trips to the Middle East and advocates for more
balanced United States policy and talks about the “right of
Palestinians to a state” (aaiusa.org).

RACISM AND CIVIL RIGHTS

During the affirmative action case against the University of Michigan
heard by the Supreme Court this year, Dennis Kucinich and Rep. Barbara
Lee issued a joint statement: “Affirmative action is necessary,
affirmative action is right, and affirmative action must be
preserved….Affirmative action is still essential because a truly level
playing field is still an elusive goal, not a reality. Today, we stand
united in our support of affirmative action and the University of
Michigan. Our nation is at a critical junction; the Supreme Court must
not send our nation back into some of the darkest moments in our
history, but instead lead our nation to a fair and just future.”
(www.kucinich.us). Similarly, Howard Dean called the Supreme Court’s
upholding of affirmative action “a victory for the civil rights of all
Americans” (www.deanforamerican.com).

As governor of Vermont, Dean signed historic civil union legislation
giving equal rights to same-sex partners. Dean advocates for universal
health care legislation for  those under 19 years of age. Kucinich and
Moseley Braun offer the most sweeping prospects for health care reform,
since both favor an universal single-payer system similar to Canada’s.
In a similar vein, Sharpton
advocates for adding an universal health care ammendment to the
constitution (www.al2004.org). Lieberman, Kerry, and Gephardt do not
favor universal health care, and they continue to tie coverage to the
workplace.

Al Sharpton has spent his entire career in the civil rights movement
and, as his record demonstrates, has probably the clearest commitment
to anti-racism work of any Democratic candidate. Carol Moseley Brown is
endorsed by the National Organization of Women and the National Women’s
Political Caucus.

Kerry, Gephardt, and Lieberman also have an ambiguous relationship to
other civil rights issues such as affirmative action. Although they
both now officially endorse affirmative action programs, they have been
embarrassed in the past by making inconsistent statements. In 1995, for
instance, Lieberman called affirmative action programs “inconsistent
with the law and basic American values of equal treatment and
opportunity."