[Peace-discuss] lawyer stuff

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Mon Apr 19 15:18:26 CDT 2004

This strikes me as closely reasoned and eminently sensible.  Thanks,
Peter.

Although I think our colleagues' concerns about Marvin should be taken
seriously, I do think they're misplaced and hope they'd be withdrawn.
Marvin is competent and sympathetic to our position.  And (as I believe
you pointed out) we're not going to find too many others like that at this
cost.

The more important point is that we have some legal representation in
place. The matter is an indication of how seriously we're taking our
demonstrations this summer.  Too much hesitation in dealing with our legal
situation may betray a bit of presumed class privilege, if we think we can
just talk things over with nice mister policemen and have everything be
okay.

Finally, I deeply regret using the term "blocking concern" (as I think I
did) at yesterday's meeting. It's drawn from what I think are the
generally self-defeating "consensus" procedures that have been paralyzing
voluntary organizations for a generation or more.  It's not a road we want
to go down.  AWARE's collegial manner of proceeding is far better.

Regards, Carl