[Peace-discuss] Fwd:Media Matters Weekly Update

jencart jencart at mycidco.com
Fri Jan 16 06:31:09 CST 2004

Welcome to another edition of the WILL-AM Media Matters email update!

THIS WEEK'S GUESTS

-------------------------------

This week's guests on Media Matters are Dr. William Patterson and Kimberlie Kranich. Dr. William Patterson is Visiting Assistant Professor in the Afro-American Studies and Research Program at the U of I.  He created the B.E.A.T.S program which stands for Bridging Education, Arts, & Technology Scholastically. The program empowers at-risk-youth to make media images and to explore the implications of those images on popular culture.  He also created All Girls Radio, a show engineered and produced by African American girls in middle school. The program airs weekly on WBCP Radio, central Illinois' only Black-owned and operated radio station.

Kimberlie Kranich is outreach coordinator and producer of special broadcast and events at WILL TV and radio. She came to WILL 6 years ago from WPSX-TV and WPSU-Radio in Pennsylvania.  For the past five years, she has served on the  programming committee at community radio station WEFT in Champaign, three of those years as chair.  She is part of a collective of women at WEFT who produce "Womyn Making Waves," a music and information program Sundays from 1-3pm. Kimberlie is on the Board of Directors of the Women's Institute for Freedom of the Press in Washington,DC and is a founding funder of the Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center. http://www.ucimc.org/

UPCOMING GUESTS

--------------

In the following weeks we will feature Paul Krugman, Robert Pollin and Al Franken.

If you have a suggestion for a guest you'd like to see on the show,let us know: email producer Victor Pickard at vpickard at uiuc.edu

LAST WEEK'S GUEST

-----------------------------

Last week's guests on Media Matters were Professors Chris Martin and Frank Emspak who discussed mainstream media coverage of labor issues. Martin's new book is titled "Framed: Labor and the Corporate Media."

ALL OF OUR PAST SHOWS ARE AVAILABLE ON OUR WEB SITE:

http://www.will.uiuc.edu/am/mediamatters/

NUTS and BOLTS

You're receiving this message as a member of the Media Matters mailing list, a weekly update from the producers of Bob McChesney's Media Matters show airing Sundays 1-2pm on WILL-AM 580. If you do not wish to receive messages from this list, email listproc at prairienet.org with the text "unsubscribe mediamatters" in the body of the email.

We hope you find the Media Matters Weekly Update to be useful and informative, and we hope you'll encourage everyone you know with an interest in the media to listen to the show and subscribe to the list. If you have any questions or suggestions on how to improve what we do with this list, please email producer Victor Pickard at vpickard at uiuc.edu

Thanks again for listening!

--

Victor Pickard