[Peace-discuss] Re: [Peace] UPDATE: URBANA MAYOR TORPEDOES DN!/UPTV DECISION

Danielle Chynoweth chyn at ojctech.com
Fri Jul 16 20:26:59 CDT 2004

I would like to add a few things to to Randall's announcement of the delay
in the DemocracyNow decision by the UPTV Commission.

- the mayor spoke in to me several weeks ago saying something to the
effect of "i hear your IMC friends are harrassing staff and commissioners
to get Democracy Now on the air."  This was the same meeting where he
threatened to use his influence with the press to spread lies that i was
involved with a conflict of interest if i did not reverse my vote on the
ward map.  i walked out on our meeting in disgust and will no longer meet
with the mayor unless our meeting is recorded.

- a few days before the UPTV Commission was to meet to discuss the
DemocracyNow! proposal (and my proposal to hire an outreach coordinator),
the meeting was suddenly cancelled and rescheduled for a later date.

- the next week, i was informed that i had been kicked off the commission,
where i have been serving for 3 years and have brought in over 40 new
public access members.  the mayor found a legitimate loophole to allow him
to remove me and so i had no contest.

- the week after, the UPTV Commission met and for the first time in my 3
years of service, the Mayor was in attendance.  my input was relegated to
the public participation section at the end of the meeting.

- This past week, the Mayor attended the UPTV Commission for his second
time in 3 years (or more) to argue against Democracy Now - calling it
"ideological" and saying that putting it on could open the way for the KKK
to insist on downlinking it's programs.

- The radio group at the IMC (which by the way is not involved in getting
DN on the air despite what the mayor thinks) is putting together a feature
piece on this topic for this Monday at 5:30 PM on WEFT.  It will also be
posted to the ucimc.org website.  The Mayor was "not available" for a ten
minute interview, but the city attorney was, so you can get a sense of the
different sides of the story.

- Last week, the Programming Committee of WEFT voted to send a letter of
support for DN on UPTV to the Commission.

This is nasty politics kidz.  Reminder: the Mayor is up for re-election in
Spring of 2005.

peace. out.
danielle