[Peace-discuss] Clarification

jencart jencart at mycidco.com
Sun Jul 25 23:15:55 CDT 2004

Whoa,

If a bystander reports an infraction -- say a hit and run/leaving the scene of an accident -- it's his/her responsibility to give a description of the car and/or license plate,  and then it's the JOB of the police to follow up.  Otherwise NOBODY could be found/charged w/ a hit and run/leaving the scene....   And Crimestoppers?  All you have to do is call w/ information, you don't even have to give your name.... and the police follow up on tips.

I think we should ask the lawyer about this, get it resolved before the next protest on Aug 7th if possible.

Re vidoetaping..... Sorry, I'm still not too clear on this : We can tape the protest, but we have to stop taping if/when the police get involved?  If so, then I agree that we should ask the lawyer about that one, too.

Glad you all tho't the meeting was cordial and profitable.  Yes, having a lawyer on board has got to help both sides.

Jenifer C.
We must know the driver.  Of course, the license plate may lead to  the driver. It seems reasonable to expect some assistance from the  police in finding the driver, but I don't know how much.  I think we  got very little from the police on this in the past.  Perhaps that  can change now that we have a lawyer?

The rules for videotaping are contested.  They are formulating a  policy and we may challenge it depending on how it comes out.

It was successful because they now know how serious we are and that  we have a lawyer.  Bob Finch thinks they don't want a hassle and  therefore it is in their interest to be nicer to us.