[Peace-discuss] 9/11 Commission Report: Bushwellianism that brings reminders of the Warren Commission

ndahlhei at uiuc.edu ndahlhei at uiuc.edu
Sat Jul 31 17:39:05 CDT 2004

Our democracy and civil liberties are really at threat, as
the official 9/11 report from the 9/11 Commission calls for
further government repression and erosion of precious civil
liberties and civil rights.

Read this from onlinejournal.com dated July 26, 2004.

The 9-11 Commission Report: the greatest whitewash since the
Warren Commission's report

By Bev Conover
Online Journal Editor & Publisher

July 26, 2004—Everyone is to blame and no one is to blame,
according to the twisted logic of the 9-11 Whitewash
Commission.

So who is talking about logic in this Bushwellian land?
Surely not the 9-11 victims' families, who were bought off
for an average of $2 million each, that are patting
themselves on the back for forcing the Bushies to set up
this travesty of a commission, comprised of handpicked
cronies.

Having spent several hours—hours that could have been better
used—going through the 567-page "report," we agree with Kurt
Nimmo that it is a "fantasy novel."

The only dots it connects are the ones in the Official 9-11
Legend, which will now stand alongside the Warren Whitewash
Commission Report on the Assassination of John F. Kennedy.
Only this time, instead of Arlen Specter's "pristine bullet"
theory, we have all these Arab men flying in and out of the
US—some with dodgy passports or expired visas—meeting with
their cohorts around the world, between learning how to fly
airplanes at flight schools around the US, while telling
their flight instructors they could skip the parts about
taking off and landing the crafts. And no one noticed? Not
even when they were told about these antics? When some of
these alleged hijackers were on "terrorist" watch lists?

Yet, millions of our ignorant fellow Americans—especially
those in the corporate media—will buy into the fantasy. ABC
News' John Donvan called this work of fiction the greatest
thing since the Warren Whitewash Commission's work of
fiction.

If that isn't scary enough, now the corporate media, the
knuckleheads in Congress and the dolts on the street who
appear on camera are clamoring to implement the commission's
recommendations to keep them "safe" from brown-skinned
Muslims out to kill them. Hey, we don't need no steenking
freedom. Hello, police state.

Why NBC's flagship station, WNBC, in New York announced it
is going to run a daily countdown until the final elements
of the police state are in place.

The New York Times offered up this bit of
Bushwellianism: "As expected, the commission called for
creation of a new national intelligence director to supplant
some functions now performed by the director of central
intelligence, who heads not only the Central Intelligence
Agency but supervises the work of a dozen or more agencies
scattered through the government. 'No one person can do all
these things,' the commission said."

Let's see, no one person can do it all, so let's have a
spook czar—a cabinet level spook czar. Got it? Does that
mean there will be some divine intervention in the choice of
the political hack to "do all these things" that the CIA
director can't do? Drat, there we go with logic again.

Not exactly, according to the next paragraph in the same NYT
article: "It called, too, for creation of a national
counterterrorism center that would both unify strategic
intelligence-gathering against Islamic terrorists and
operational planning against them. But the report emphasizes
that the enemy is not Islam, 'the great world faith, but a
perversion of Islam.'

Aha, another multi-billion dollar agency. And only to
gather "intelligence" against "Islamic terrorists?"

What about the perversion of Christianity and Judaism? You
know, those Christian terrorists who torch abortion clinics
and kill doctors? What about those Zionist terrorists who
are slaughtering Palestinians and threatening those of us
who speak out against the genocide? What about those
Christians terrorists who are aiding and abetting the
Zionist terrorists in the hope of bringing about Armageddon,
and, if successful, plan to kill all the Jews, along with
all others, who refuse to accept Christ as their savior?

Yes, this shameful work of fiction goes on for pages in a
thinly veiled indictment of Muslims, particularly brown-
skinned Muslims, for the horrific acts that should be laid
at the feet of the Bush administration. Then, this is a work
of fiction.

The commission has the audacity to falsely talk about the
failure of "imagination." The imagination was there, but the
commission chose not to mention Operation Northwoods, dreamt
up by the Joint Chiefs of Staff in 1962, which laid out a
scenario similar to what happened on 9-11, as a way of
conning the American people into going to war against
Castro. Nor did the commission make any reference to the
Project for a New American Century, which said the US might
need a "new Pearl Harbor" to achieve global hegemony.

Nowhere does the commission point out that Osama bin Laden
was the CIA's point man in Afghanistan, during the time the
Reagan administration was bent on pushing the Soviets out of
that country. Nor does the commission note that al Qaeda is
a creature of the CIA, born out of the Afghan Mujahadeen,
which it armed and financed. Yes, we loved those "Muslims"
when they were doing our dirty work, but they have served
their purpose and now they are "evildoers."

While the commission admitted there were no ties between al
Qaeda and Saddam Hussein, it failed to mention that Saddam
also was the recipient of US largesse and weapons of mass
destruction, when the double-dealing Reagan administration
wanted him to win the war with Iran. What the Reaganites
didn't tell him was they also were trading arms for hostages
with Iran at the same time, in order to illegally finance
the Nicaraguan Contras.

But the commission didn't see it as its job to connect those
dots, so people would understand who was really behind 9-11,
how 9-11 was used to strip us of our freedoms and illegally
invade Afghanistan and Iraq. If it had, and had laid blame
at the feet of the real perpetrators, the American people
would have the big picture of this failed mad scheme that
cost this country what little respect it had left in the
world and why there are now people who truly hate us.

Had the commission stepped back and reflected on the
nightmare we're in, it would have seen that the way out is
not with "intelligence" czars, national counterterrorism
centers, taking away more of our freedoms, preemptive
strikes on sovereign nations, labeling other
people "terrorists" and "evildoers" and a bogus "war on
terror." The way out is by changing our attitude toward the
world; by reeling in the corporations that exploit other
peoples and their resources; by respecting other peoples and
the sovereignty of their nations. But that wasn't the
commission's job, either. Nor could we expect the corporate-
connected commissioners to bite the hand that feeds them.

The commission was tasked with shoring up the Bushwellian
Official 9-11 Legend for the consumption of the ignorant,
without causing those responsible for the dastardly deed to
be brought to justice, and persuading the people to trade
the rest of their liberty for "safety." If Benjamin Franklin
were still with us, he would say that people who would do
that are deserving of neither liberty nor safety.