[Peace-discuss] Fw: The TV ad that put Bush over the top [From Salon.com]

jencart at mailstation.com jencart at mailstation.com
Mon Nov 8 09:55:12 CST 2004

More post mortems.....

-----Forwarded Message-----

Subject: The TV ad that put Bush over the top [From Salon.com]

http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2004/11/05/bush_ads/index.ht
ml

The TV ad that put Bush over the top
An unscripted emotional encounter with the president,
captured on camera, ends up a winner.

- - - - - - - - - - - -
By Eric Boehlert

printe-mail

Nov. 5, 2004  |  Karl Rove and his team of Republican
operatives are accepting congratulations for engineering
President Bush's reelection campaign. But there's another
less likely Republican who deserves a lot of credit for the
president's win: Lebanon, Ohio, resident Lynn Faulkner.
Snapping one frame with his Kodak digital camera as Bush
embraced Faulkner's daughter at a campaign rally last May,
the father captured an emotional, unscripted moment that set
in motion perhaps the most widely seen, and effective,
television commercial of the 2004 campaign.

The unique, 60-second commercial that Faulkner's photo
spawned, "Ashley's Story," blanketed swing states during the
final weeks of the election. And in a campaign known for its
negative tone -- often fueled by Bush's nasty, deceptive
attack TV ads -- the commercial, with its heartfelt 9/11
connection, turned out to be an exception: a memorable,
motivating, feel-good ad. Exit poll results that
indicate "moral values" was a driving force among voters (22
percent of whom selected it as the most important issue in
the election) help explain the effectiveness of the ad, which
showed Bush as a protective, compassionate father figure.
Additionally, voter surveys found that the issue of terrorism
worked very well for Bush among married women with young
children, who were the target demographic group of "Ashley's
Story."

"The ad played directly to values and the security theme of
the election, which judging by national polls, are the
reasons Bush won the election," notes Darrell West, professor
of political science at Brown University and an expert on
campaign advertising. The commercial also included a strong
religious subtext, casting Bush as a healer who literally
saved Ashley from her despair; a theme that certainly
resonated among religious voters who overwhelmingly supported
Bush.

"Ashley's Story" arose from an unplanned encounter Bush had
with Ashley Faulkner on May 4, when she; her father, Lynn;
and neighbor Linda Prince attended a Bush campaign event in
Lebanon, Ohio. Ashley's mother was killed during the attack
on the World Trade Center towers, which she had visited on
business. As Bush passed the Faulkners on the rope line,
Prince said to him, "Mr. President, this young lady lost her
mother in the World Trade Center."

Bush turned back, said a few words and gave the girl a big
hug while Faulkner took a single picture. The photograph
captured Bush with an unusually empathetic look on his face
as Ashley buried her tearful face in his chest. That night
Lynn Faulkner e-mailed the photo to a dozen family members
and friends. Two days later the picture appeared in the
Cincinnati Enquirer, and the story -- as well as the photo --
became an Internet phenomenon. By July, a production crew
hired by the Progress for America Voter Fund, a Republican
special-interest group, was filming the commercial at the
Faulkners' home. The Bush campaign saved it for the end and
released it in October.

As a narrator recounts the tale, Ashley appears on camera and
says of Bush, "He's the most powerful man in the world, and
all he wants to do is make sure I'm safe, that I'm OK." Her
father, a self-described Republican, is also shown in the ad.
As photos of Bush at ground zero appear, Faulkner says, "What
I saw was what I want to see in the heart and soul of the man
who sits in the highest elected office in our country."

"It was a very effective piece of political advertising
because it was a personal story; it took a grand, ugly thing
[terrorism] and put it in a context people can understand,"
says John Green, political scientist at the University of
Akron in Ohio, a state that, not surprisingly, was inundated
with campaign spots this year. "That picture of Bush with the
little girl is very effective television. And it seemed like
every time I turned on the TV I saw it."

That's because, unlike the many election ads that are created
on the cheap and designed to generate free press coverage,
rather than reach TV viewers, "Ashley's Story" was backed by
the most expensive TV ad buy of the campaign, which blanketed
nine states -- Ohio, Florida, Pennsylvania, Iowa, New Mexico,
Nevada, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Missouri -- on both network
and cable channels at a cost of $14.2 million. (The Progress
for America Voter Fund's largest contributors are two
California business executives, Alex Spanos and Dawn Arnall,
who have given $5 million each. Home Depot founder Bernie
Marcus chipped in $1 million specifically for the "Ashley's
Story" ad.) The GOP fund's huge TV spending spree during the
last three weeks of the election alone totaled $6.5 million
more than the spending of all the Democratic independent
groups put together, according to a new study by the Center
for Public Integrity.

When it debuted in October, "Ashley's Story" didn't generate
nearly as much buzz in the press as the controversial Bush-
Cheney spot "Wolves," which hit the airwaves around the same
time. That 30-second commercial, which used prowling wolves
to symbolize looming terrorists, both questioned John Kerry's
commitment to fighting terrorism and paid homage to President
Reagan's famous 1984 campaign ad, which used a grizzly bear
to symbolize America's then foreign adversary, the Soviet
Union. (A check of the Nexis electronic database shows 143
stories since October that contain the key words "George Bush
and wolves," compared with just 26 matches for "George Bush
and Ashley Faulkner.")

Fortunately for Bush, no debate arose over the ethics of
using a motherless child in a campaign commercial. In the
past, grieving parents have occasionally filmed spots for
candidates, often regarding crime and punishment issues. But
rarely have children been used to talk about the death of a
parent in the context, even indirectly, of presidential
politics. "When I heard about the idea I thought there was a
potential problem with exploitation," says Green. "But when I
saw the ad -- the father involved in it was low-key -- I
didn't have that feeling."

At nearly the same time that "Ashley's Story" was released,
Democrats began airing their own ad featuring a 9/11 next of
kin. New Jersey 9/11 widow Kristen Breitweiser, speaking into
the camera, talked about Bush's opposition to the 9/11
commission. That ad appealed to voters' logic about the
terrorist attacks, while "Ashley's Story" appealed to their
emotions. "Kerry tried to reason with voters, while the Bush
campaign understood this was a campaign about emotion," says
Brown University's West.

Although the Kerry camp battled to match the Bush message
machine ad for ad throughout the campaign, Democrats were
never able to equal "Ashley's Story" -- they failed to
produce the same type of compelling, thematic commercial that
could help reveal something about their candidate's
character. "Kerry had some really good attack ads on Bush and
good positive ads about his own record. But I can't remember
a heartwarming Kerry ad," says Green.

Recalling his daughter's encounter with Bush, Lynn Faulkner
told the Cincinnati Enquirer last month, "That event was like
a special little private gift to her." Ultimately, it proved
to be a gift to the Bush campaign, too.

salon.com