[Peace-discuss] Support the troops? Fallujah

Chas. 'Mark' Bee c-bee1 at itg.uiuc.edu
Thu Feb 10 14:28:37 CST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul M. King" <pmking at uiuc.edu>
To: "Morton K. Brussel" <mkb3 at mac.com>; <peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net>
Sent: Thursday, February 10, 2005 1:32 PM
Subject: Re: [Peace-discuss] Support the troops? Fallujah

>i just forwarded this story to a friend of mine and his
> response follows:
>
> "...but i'm skeptical: with the hundreds of imbedded reporters
> -- including those accompanying the troops during the fallujah
> invasion -- why wasn't this story splashed on the front page
> of the new york times? while there is no doubt some very ugly
> shit slips through the cracks that we never hear about, i
> think this story lacks credibility..."
>
> where do i start? any suggestions? i don't have the patience
> to debate this with him. is there a good, concise and
> illuminating article or interview i can send him that will
> describe with some thoroughness how our system of propoganda
> works? i've been trying to get him to stop watching fox news
> for quite some time now and haven't been able to. thanks!
>
> ..:: paul

   Regarding Fox, have you tried these?  (they're pretty common knowledge, you might already have them)

http://www.rense.com/general35/MEDIA.HTM

 Appellate Court Rules Media Can Legally Lie.

 On February 14, a Florida Appeals court ruled there is absolutely nothing
 illegal about lying, concealing or distorting information by a major press
 organization. The court reversed the $425,000 jury verdict in favor of
 journalist Jane Akre who charged she was pressured by Fox Television
 management and lawyers to air what she knew and documented to be false
 information. The ruling basically declares it is technically not against any
 law, rule, or regulation to deliberately lie or distort the news on a
 television broadcast.

 On August 18, 2000, a six-person jury was unanimous in its conclusion that
 Akre was indeed fired for threatening to report the station's pressure to
 broadcast what jurors decided was "a false, distorted, or slanted" story about
 the widespread use of growth hormone in dairy cows. The court did not dispute
 the heart of Akre's claim, that Fox pressured her to broadcast a false story
 to protect the broadcaster from having to defend the truth in court, as well
 as suffer the ire of irate advertisers.

 Fox argued from the first, and failed on three separate occasions, in front of
 three different judges, to have the case tossed out on the grounds there is no
 hard, fast, and written rule against deliberate distortion of the news. The
 attorneys for Fox, owned by media baron Rupert Murdock, argued the First
 Amendment gives broadcasters the right to lie or deliberately distort news
 reports on the public airwaves.

 In its six-page written decision, the Court of Appeals held that the Federal
 Communications Commission position against news distortion is only a "policy,"
 not a promulgated law, rule, or regulation.

We report, you get it wrong
By Jim Lobe

WASHINGTON - The more commercial television news you watch, the more
wrong you are likely to be about key elements of the Iraq War and its
aftermath, according to a major new study released in Washington on
Thursday.

And the more you watch the Rupert Murdoch-owned Fox News channel, in
particular, the more likely it is that your perceptions about the war
are wrong, adds the report by the University of Maryland's Program on
International Policy Attitudes (PIPA).

Based on several nationwide surveys it conducted with California-based
Knowledge Networks since June, as well as the results of other polls,
PIPA found that 48 percent of the public believe US troops found
evidence of close pre-war links between Iraq and the al-Qaeda terrorist
group; 22 percent thought troops found weapons of mass destruction (WMD)
in Iraq; and 25 percent believed that world public opinion favored
Washington's going to war with Iraq. All three are misperceptions.

The report, Misperceptions, the Media and the Iraq War, also found that
the more misperceptions held by the respondent, the more likely it was
that s/he both supported the war and depended on commercial television
for news about it.

The study is likely to stoke a growing public and professional debate
over why mainstream news media - especially the broadcast media - were
not more skeptical about the Bush administration's pre-war claims,
particularly regarding Saddam Hussein's WMD stockpiles and ties with
al-Qaeda.

"This is a dangerously revealing study," said Marvin Kalb, a former
television correspondent and a senior fellow of the Shorenstein Center
on the Press, Politics and Public Policy at the Kennedy School of
Government at Harvard University.

While Kalb said he had some reservations about the specificity of the
questions directed at the respondents, he noted that, "People who have
had a strong belief that there is an unholy alliance between politics
and the press now have more evidence." Fox, in particular, has been
accused of pursuing a chauvinistic agenda in its news coverage despite
its motto, "We report, you decide".

Overall, according to PIPA, 60 percent of the people surveyed held at
least one of the three misperceptions through September. Thirty percent
of respondents had none of those misperceptions.

Surprisingly, the percentage of people holding the misperceptions rose
slightly over the last three months. In July, for example, polls found
that 45 percent of the public believed US forces had found "clear
evidence in Iraq that Hussein was working closely with al-Qaeda". In
September, 49 percent believed that.

Likewise, those who believed troops had found WMD in Iraq jumped from 21
percent in July to 24 percent in September. One in five respondents said
they believed that Iraq had actually used chemical or biological weapons
during the war.

In determining what factors could create the misperceptions, PIPA
considered a number of variables in the data.

It found a high correlation between respondents with the most
misperceptions and their support for the decision to go to war. Only 23
percent of those who held none of the three misperceptions supported the
war, while 53 percent who held one misperception did so. Of those who
believe that both WMDs and evidence of al-Qaeda ties have been found in
Iraq and that world opinion backed the United States, a whopping 86
percent said they supported war.

More specifically, among those who believed that Washington had found
clear evidence of close ties between Hussein and al-Qaeda, two-thirds
held the view that going to war was the best thing to do. Only 29
percent felt that way among those who did not believe that such evidence
had been found.

Another factor that correlated closely with misperceptions about the war
was party affiliation, with Republicans substantially "more likely" to
hold misperceptions than Democrats. But support for Bush himself as
expressed by whether or not the respondent said s/he intended to vote
for him in 2004 appeared to be an even more critical factor.

The average frequency of misperceptions among respondents who planned to
vote for Bush was 45 percent, while among those who plan to vote for a
hypothetical Democrat candidate, the frequency averaged only 17 percent.

Asked "Has the US found clear evidence Saddam Hussein was working
closely with al-Qaeda"? 68 percent of Bush supporters replied
affirmatively. By contrast, two of every three Democrat-backers said no.

But news sources also accounted for major differences in misperceptions,
according to PIPA, which asked more than 3,300 respondents since May
where they "tended to get most of [their] news''. Eighty percent
identified broadcast media, while 19 percent cited print media.

Among those who said broadcast media, 30 percent said two or more
networks; 18 percent, Fox News; 16 percent, CNN; 24 percent, the three
big networks - NBC (14 percent), ABC (11 percent), CBS (9 percent); and
three percent, the two public networks, National Public Radio (NPR) and
Public Broadcasting Service (PBS).

For each of the three misperceptions, the study found enormous
differences between the viewers of Fox, who held the most
misperceptions, and NPR/PBS, who held the fewest by far.

Eighty percent of Fox viewers were found to hold at least one
misperception, compared to 23 percent of NPR/PBS consumers. All the
other media fell in between.

CBS ranked right behind Fox with a 71 percent score, while CNN and NBC
tied as the best-performing commercial broadcast audience at 55 percent.
Forty-seven percent of print media readers held at least one misperception.

As to the number of misconceptions held by their audiences, Fox far
outscored all of its rivals. A whopping 45 percent of its viewers
believed all three misperceptions, while the other commercial networks
scored between 12 percent and 16 percent. Only nine percent of readers
believed all three, while only four percent of the NPR/PBS audience did.

PIPA found that political affiliation and news source also compound one
another. Thus, 78 percent of Bush supporters who watch Fox News said
they thought the United States had found evidence of a direct link to
al-Qaeda, while 50 percent of Bush supporters who rely on NPR/PBS
thought so.

Conversely, 48 percent of Fox viewers who said they would support a
Democrat believed that such evidence had been found. But none of the
Democrat-backers who relied on NPR/PBS believed it.

The study also debunked the notion that misperceptions were due mainly
to the lack of exposure to news.

Among Bush supporters, those who said they follow the news "very
closely", were found more likely to hold misperceptions. Those Bush
supporters, on the other hand, who say they follow the news "somewhat
closely" or "not closely at all" held fewer misperceptions.

Conversely, those Democratic supporters who said they did not follow the
news very closely were found to be twice as likely to hold
misperceptions as those who said they did, according to PIPA.

(Inter Press Service)