[Peace-discuss] Forgiveness Weekend program schedule

Randall Cotton recotton at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 14 02:07:44 CST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "C. G. Estabrook" <galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu>
To: "Randall Cotton" <recotton at earthlink.net>
Cc: <peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net>; "danielle schumacher"
<danielle at illinoisnorml.org>
Sent: Monday, February 14, 2005 12:38 AM
Subject: Re: [Peace-discuss] Forgiveness Weekend program schedule

: Wait a minute, Randall: it was you who offered the quoted commentary as a
: specification of the goals of the "conference," about which I asked.

To claim my citation of the Aaron's commentary was meant as a "specification
of the goals of the conference", is yet another mischaracterization (you're
on a roll, Carl 8-)

Let's review. You asked the following question:

"Disenfranchisements for released felons include the prohibition of owning a
gun. What else?"

and I cited Aarons commentary because it itemized several other examples of
disenfranchisement. Pretty straightforward.

: (I
: won't insist on "rally," altho' it's arguable.) And now you say, "Aaron
: never mentioned Forgiveness Weekend in this piece" -- so, presumably,
: these are *not* the goals of the conference.  What, then, is the
: conference for?

Again, this claim that Aaron's commentary constitutes the "goals of the
conference" is your own invention.

: And surely you don't mean that people are not being asked to support
: anything.  What I wanted to know was *what* they were being asked to
: support.  Apparently the answer is (or maybe isn't) Aaron's commentary...

Well, I suppose whether people will be "asked" for "support" or not depends
on interpretation. If you take this at face value (and I did), I took "being
asked to support" to mean "individually challenged to assist with". And I
tend to doubt that's what will happen. A different interpretation (yours,
perhaps) might yield "collectively petitioned to agree with". And, indeed, I
imagine there will be some of that.

: Can you dismiss the reference to the president as "inconsequential"? I
: mentioned it merely to show that the information about felons'
: disabilities was unreliable on its face. So I remain puzzled by the
: question you ask: what restrictions on felons are under attack by CUCFPJ?

Well, my point was that if the claim about the President was the only thing
that was inaccurate in the itemized list, it would hardly diminish the
weight of the overall content.

However, on closer examination, I think it's possible that Aaron wasn't
referring to the President *of the United States*. There is such as a thing
as
municipal President of a City council or Village Board of Trustees. Aaron's
text reads "municipal elected office such as Mayor or city council member or
President." Rereading now,  it actually seems more likely to me that he
meant a municipal President (which is akin to a Mayor). It's certainly a
valid interpretation of the phrase as it stands.

: Or (as I asked at the outset of this correspondence), "What, specifically,
: is the disenfranchisement of felons that this conference seeks to end?"
: I still don't know.

Indeed, such a statement of purpose was never revealed. But do conferences
require such definitive statements of purpose? Isn't it sufficient for a
conference to just exist as a series of scheduled presentations, speeches
and discussions loosely organized around a topic? Perhaps that's all we're
dealing with here, and that doesn't negate its value.

I do agree, though, that there does seem to be a bit of an information
vacuum regarding the conference. There's not much detail available and
people wish they knew more (and not necessarily because they feel uneasy
about the conference as you do 8-).

Perhaps Danielle or someone else in CUCFPJ will have time to inform us a
little more soon.

:
: Regards, Carl
: