[Peace-discuss] Fw: YMCA partners with ARMY

jandurl jandurl at insightbb.com
Mon Feb 14 10:31:29 CST 2005

Dear Peace List:
Below is the response I received from the University YMCA in reference to
the question asked by Kate, a member of student peace action.  Kate was
wondering about the use of the Y lawn by the ARMY.
It sounds like we should no longer be concerned, since what Kate observed is
not really a Y "program" (it took place outside the doors on the "lawn") and
besides many current Y residents are "serving" their country in the "armed
forces".
Isn't that what a "young men's Christian Association" should be all about
anyway?   And besides  the Y apparently needs the money.  So I guess we
shouldn't be concerned since the Y is "committed" to social justice and that
army recruitment event on the lawn was just one more way to get young people
interested in doing the right thing.
Maybe next time the ARMY wants to rent the "Y" lawn someone can explain how
military recruitment and social justice can work side by side.  I am still
troubled!
JAN Kruse

-
Sent: Monday, February 14, 2005 9:31 AM
Subject: Re: YMCA partners with ARMY

> Hi Jan-
>
> Thank you for contacting me. As you know, the University YMCA runs on
> a very limited budget and as such, relies quite heavily on space and
> room rental fees. Our receptionist handles all rentals, like the one
> on Friday from the ARMY and 107.1. It is policy for her to bring to
> staff any inquiries about rentals from groups that are questionably
> in efforts against the Y's, however, I don't believe she felt the
> United States ARMY is one of those groups. Especially because so many
> of Y students (residents and student leaders) have gone on to serve
> our country in the armed forces.
> As you also know, the University YMCA is an organization committed to
> social justice efforts, but is open to the message of many. I
> apologize on behalf of the Y for any concern this has caused, but
> assure you the display on the lawn on Friday was in no way a "program
> of the Y".
> Please let me know if you have any other questions about this, and
> feel free to pass this message along to the peace discuss list.
>
> Thanks,
> Becca
>
> >Becca:
> >Can you respond to this message?  Many folks are worried about this and
find
> >this to be of concern?
> >JAN Kruse

> >Sent: Friday, February 11, 2005 5:26 PM
> >Subject: [Peace-discuss] YMCA partners with ARMY

  It is not everyday you can discover the "oportunities" of the
  ARMY on the front lawn of the University Y.  But today was
  such a day.  You could also get a free keychain, talk with a
  ROTC student, hear some rock blasting from speakers, and win
> >>  some tickets to a basketball game.  107.1 (the planet) and
> >>  the ARMY paired up to glamorize enlisting in the military.
> >>  But why were they allowed on the Y lawn?   Is this common
> >>  policy?  Does anyone know if this has happened before?  I am
> >>  disturbed that the Y would allow people to recruit out
> >>  front.  Even if they guise it as free speech (which I do not
> >>  yet know their reasons) it will not lead to free speech
> >>  wherever the people who enlist end up going.  I find this
> >>  unethical and counterproductive to many of the events that
> >>  take place at the Y.
  -kate stepanski
 student peace action member