[Peace-discuss] Eyes Wide Open - It's Happening!

carol inskeep carolinskeep at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 16 15:15:03 CDT 2005

Today, our first day of Eyes Wide Open Illinois, has been taking place on the QUAD.  First, my deepest thanks to every person who has volunteered and helped both in the preparation and in the staffing today - especially the folks on the working group who helped get things together and the over fifty volunteers who are helping to staff the exhibit over 4 days and five locations.  Above and beyond.  My sincerest thanks for helping to make this happen.

It's been really moving to watch the steady stream of students walking through the exhibit today - one young guy who asked for help to find the boots representing a 22 year old friend of his from high school, a marine who was near tears -  who returned from Iraq in April and who still has four close friends in Iraq, a young woman whose friend lost both legs and an arm in combat...

To AWARE folks who might still be willing to lend a hand - we could use help with take down this evening after the Kathy Kelly event - the boots are being moved and displayed at the Y for the program this evening.  If you can stick around for 20 minutes, we could use help packing things up after the 6:30pm event is over.  Or if you plan to protest tomorrow evening - perhaps you could stop by for 15 minutes at 6pm, and see if we need help loading up the display from West Side Park.

Thanks again,
Carol