[Peace-discuss] Robert Fisk article

Morton K. Brussel brussel4 at insightbb.com
Fri Sep 23 14:22:40 CDT 2005

About what the religions have to offer…

Sorry not being able to attend the send off party this evening.  But
to all who are going, give them hell!

--mkb

We Have Long Ago Lost Our Moral Compass, So How Can We Lecture The
Islamic World?

Years of Western interference in the Middle East has left the region
heavy with injustices

By Robert Fisk

09/17/05 "The Independent" --- In an age when Lord Blair of Kut al-
Amara can identify "evil ideologies" and al-Qa'ida can call the
suicide bombing of 156 Iraqi Shias "good news" for the "nation of
Islam", thank heaven for our readers, in particular John Shepherd,
principal lecturer in religious studies at St Martin's College,
Lancaster.

Responding to a comment of mine - to the effect that "deep down" we
do, however wrongly, suspect that religion has something to do with
the London bombings - Mr Shepherd gently admonishes me. "I wonder if
there may be more to it than that," he remarks. And I fear he is
right and I am wrong.

His arguments are contained in a brilliantly conceived article on the
roots of violence and extremism in Judaism, Christianity and Islam -
and the urgent need to render all religions safe for "human
consumption".

Put very simply, Mr Shepherd takes a wander through some of the
nastiest bits of the Bible and the Koran - those bits we prefer not
to quote or not to think about - and finds that mass murder and
ethnic cleansing get a pretty good bill of health if we take it all
literally.

The Jewish "entry into the promised land" was clearly accompanied by
bloody conquest and would-be genocide. The Christian tradition has
absorbed this inheritance, entering its own "promised land" with a
ruthlessness that extends to cruel anti-Semitism. The New Testament,
Mr Shepherd points out, "contains passages that would ... be
actionable under British laws against incitement to racial hatred"
were they to be published fresh today.

The Muslim tradition - with its hatred of idolatry - contains, in the
career of the Prophet, "scenes of bloodshed and murder which are
shocking to modern religious sensibilities".

Thus, for example, Baruch Goldstein, the Israeli military doctor who
massacred 29 Palestinians in Hebron in 1994, committed his mass
murder on Purim, a festival celebrating the deliverance of the Jewish
communities from the Persian empire which was followed by large-scale
killing "to avenge themselves on their enemies" (Esther 8:13).

The Palestinians, of course, were playing the role of the Persians,
at other times that of the Amalekites ("... kill man and woman, babe
and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and donkey" - 1, Samuel 15:1, 3).
The original "promised land" was largely on what is now the West Bank
- hence the Jewish colonisation of Palestinian land - while the
coastal plain was not (although suggestions that Israel should
transplant itself further east, leaving Haifa, Tel Aviv and Ashkelon
to the Palestinians of the West Bank are unlikely to commend
themselves to Israel’s rulers).

The "chosen people" theme, meanwhile, moved into Christianity - the
Protestants of Northern Ireland, for example, (remember the Ulster
Covenant?), and apartheid South Africa and, in some respects, the
United States.

The New Testament is laced with virulent anti-Semitism, accusing the
Jews of killing Christ. Read Martin Luther. The Koran demanded the
forced submission of conquered peoples in the name of religion (the
Koran 9:29), and Mohammed’s successor, the Caliph Abu Bakr, stated
specifically that "we will treat as an unbeliever whoever rejects
Allah and Mohammed, and we will make holy war upon him ... for such
there is only the sword and fire and indiscriminate slaughter."

So there you go. And how does Mr Shepherd deal with all this?
Settlement policy should be rejected not because it is theologically
questionable but because the dispossession of a people is morally
wrong. Anti-Semitism must be rejected not because it is incompatible
with the Gospels but because it is incompatible with any basic
morality based on shared human values.

If Muslim violence is to be condemned, it is not because Mohammed is
misunderstood but because it violates basic human rights. "West Bank
settlements, Christian anti-Semitism and Muslim terrorism ... are not
morally wrong because theologically questionable - they are
theologically questionable because morally wrong."

And it is true that most Christians, Jews and Muslims draw on the
tolerant, moderate aspects of their tradition. We prefer not to
accept the fact that the religions of the children of Abraham are
inherently flawed in respect of intolerance, discrimination, violence
and hatred. Only - if I understand Mr Shepherd’s thesis correctly -
by putting respect for human rights above all else and by making
religion submit to universal human values can we " grasp the nettle".

Phew. I can hear the fundamentalists roaring already. And I have to
say it will probably be the Islamic ones who will roar loudest.
Reinterpretation of the Koran is such a quicksand, so dangerous to
approach, so slippery a subject that most Muslims will not go near.

How can we suggest that a religion based on "submission" to God must
itself "submit" to our happy-clappy, all-too-Western " universal
human rights"? I don’t know. Especially when we " Christians" have
largely failed to condemn some of our own atrocities - indeed, have
preferred to forget them.

Take the Christians who massacred the Muslims of Srebrenica. Or take
the Christians - Lebanese Phalangist allies of the Israelis - who
entered the Sabra and Chatila refugee camps in Beirut and slaughtered
up to 1,700 Palestinian Muslim civilians.

Do we remember that? Do we recall that the massacres occurred between
16 and 18 September 1982? Yes, today is the 23rd anniversary of that
little genocide - and I suspect The Independent will be one of the
very few newspapers to remember it. I was in those camps in 1982. I
climbed over the corpses. Some of the Christian Phalangists in Beirut
even had illustrations of the Virgin Mary on their gun butts, just as
the Christian Serbs did in Bosnia.

Are we therefore in a position to tell our Muslim neighbours to
"grasp the nettle"? I rather think not. Because the condition of
human rights has been so eroded by our own folly, our illegal
invasion of Iraq and the anarchy that we have allowed to take root
there, our flagrant refusal to prevent further Israeli settlement
expansion in the West Bank, our constant, whining demands that
prominent Muslims must disown the killers who take their religious
texts too literally, that we have long ago lost our moral compass.

A hundred years of Western interference in the Middle East has left
the region so cracked with fault lines and artificial frontiers and
heavy with injustices that we are in no position to lecture the
Islamic world on human rights and values. Forget the Amalekites and
the Persians and Martin Luther and the Caliph Abu Bakr. Just look at
ourselves in the mirror and we will see the most frightening text of
all.

© 2005 Independent News & Media (UK) Ltd.