[Peace-discuss] Gulf Coast relief - volunteer needed

esbensha at uiuc.edu esbensha at uiuc.edu
Tue Feb 14 12:18:50 CST 2006

Hi,

I've been a semi-regular participant in AWARE meetings and
events, and I'm sending this out on behalf of my daughter
Shara, a Uni High student who has also been out picketing
numerous times with AWARE. She has been organizing a trip next
week to the Gulf Coast to do relief work, had a bunch of
students and several adult chaperones, but for a variety of
reasons--including that the Salvation Army will only take
16-year-olds and up--many of the kids and all of the adults
have dropped out. There are now two 17-year-olds and two
16-year-olds, they have a van, and are desperately searching
for an adult to accompany them. The only expenses are gas and
respirator masks, and if money were an obstacle, we can find a
way to take care of it. Anyone 18 or over who is responsible
would help reassure nervous parents. It's very short notice,
but if you or anyone you know might be interested, please
contact me and/or Shara. (her message, originally to the Uni
community, is below)

Thanks,

Rick Esbenshade
<esbensha at uiuc.edu>

(from Shara)

I have been organizing a trip to Biloxi, Mississippi to help
rebuild the homes destroyed by hurricane Katrina. Over the
course of planning this, since the fall, our group has
decreased by a lot, and all of the potential adult chaperones
we had are no longer able to accompany us. There are now only
four students going, Mandy Grill, Matt Freeman, myself, and a
friend from UHS. We need an adult chaperone. The trip is
scheduled for next week, the week of agora days. We plan on
leaving for Biloxi early Monday morning, Feb. 20th, and
returning on the 26th, the following Sunday. I realize that
this is extremely short notice, and that most people will not
be able to get off work for so long. However, if there is
anyone who thinks they may be able to give six days to the
cause, our help is needed down there, and you could save this
trip from failing!

Some details: We will be removing black mold from the flooded
houses and rebuilding them, we'll be working with the Grass
Roots Volunteer Network in collaboration with the East Biloxi
Coordination and Relief Center, and be housed by the Salvation
Army. We'll be working the 21st through the 25th (and
traveling on the 20th and 26th). The only expenses will be the
cost of gas, which we will split, and the minimal cost of
respirator masks (around 16$ total, which I can get and be
payed back for) and work boots if you need to buy any. You do
not need to drive or have a car (Mandy Grill and Matt Freeman
will be switching off driving Mandy's van). The trip will be
approx. 12 and 1/2 hours each way. All in all, it should be a
very exciting, fun, and eye-opening experience, and we could
really help some of the families whose lives were destroyed by
this disaster. Please let me know as soon as possible if you
think you could come along or if you know anyone over eighteen
who could. We would deeply appreciate any
help.

Thank you very much,

Shara Esbenshade
<esbenshd at uni.uiuc.edu>