[Peace-discuss] AWARE's outreach to other groups

Phil Stinard pstinard at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 3 20:12:02 CST 2006

Hi Ricky,

You've raised a very important point, one that I made previously with regard
to the AWARE church presences.  You are trying to reach out to a group
without alienating them.  You've made an important first step, which is
realizing that you have feelings of discomfort (e. g. frowning on military
service, disapproval of religious views) towards the group you are trying to
work with.  I think that it's important to understand the people you are
trying to convince.  Otherwise, you're speaking past them and not
communicating.  With regard to the church, it could be attending the church
in question and trying to see things from their perspective.  For the
military, it could be realizing that the US soldiers in Iraq are not your
enemy (despite plenty of propaganda to the contrary--see Mort's posting of
Doug Soderstrom's  "Why I Cannot Support The Troops In Iraq" for an
example).  I'm not saying that you have to attend VFW meetings, but I think
it would be helpful if AWARE members were to attend a homecoming celebration
for returning veterans and speak to these people and welcome them back.
Then you'll be able to see their humanity.  Just a suggestion.

--Phil