[Peace-discuss] Re: Paul Kotheimer

Wendy Edwards wedwards at uiuc.edu
Mon Oct 9 17:50:52 CDT 2006

OK, I'm assuming you're referring to
http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs5.asp?ActID=2529&ChapAct=5%A0ILCS%A0430%2F&ChapterID=2&ChapterName=GENERAL+PROVISIONS&ActName=State+Officials+and+Employees+Ethics+Act%2E
(or just try http://lnk.to/ethics)
since the AHR Academic Staff Handbook doesn't say much about this.
Let's look at the "Prohibited Political Activities":

"Prohibited political activity" means:
        (1) Preparing for, organizing, or participating in
any political meeting, political rally, political demonstration, or other
political event.
        (2) Soliciting contributions, including but not
limited to the purchase of, selling, distributing, or receiving payment for
tickets for any political fundraiser, political meeting, or other political
event.
        (3) Soliciting, planning the solicitation of, or
preparing any document or report regarding any thing of value intended as a
campaign contribution.
        (4) Planning, conducting, or participating in a
public opinion poll in connection with a campaign for elective office or on
behalf of a political organization for political purposes or for or against
any referendum question.
        (5) Surveying or gathering information from potential
connection with a campaign for elective office or on behalf of a political
organization for political purposes or for or against any referendum
question.
        (6) Assisting at the polls on election day on behalf
of any political organization or candidate for elective office or for or
against any referendum question.
        (7) Soliciting votes on behalf of a candidate for
elective office or a political organization or for or against any
referendum question or helping in an effort to get voters to the polls.
        (8) Initiating for circulation, preparing,
circulating, reviewing, or filing any petition on behalf of a candidate for
elective office or for or against any referendum question.
        (9) Making contributions on behalf of any candidate
for elective office in that capacity or in connection with a campaign for
elective office.
        (10) Preparing or reviewing responses to candidate
questionnaires in connection with a campaign for elective office or on
behalf of a political organization for political purposes.

-None of these really fit, if Rosales was basically sending email
thanking people for showing up at a City Council meeting.

        (11) Distributing, preparing for distribution, or
mailing campaign literature, campaign signs, or other campaign material on
behalf of any candidate for elective office or for or against any
referendum question.

-But a city council vote isn't a referendum, and that's significant.

        (12) Campaigning for any elective office or for or
against any referendum question.
        (13) Managing or working on a campaign for elective
office or for or against any referendum question.
        (14) Serving as a delegate, alternate, or proxy to a
political party convention.
        (15) Participating in any recount or challenge to the
outcome of any election, except to the extent that under subsection (d) of
Section 6 of Article IV of the Illinois Constitution each house of the
General Assembly shall judge the elections, returns, and qualifications of
its members.

- Nope, I don't think the emails would be considered electioneering.

Look, I don't mean to be patronizing, but Springfield is my hometown
and I have a pretty good idea of what kind of behavior motivated
the state ethics act.  It used to be common for employees in some
parts of state government to be pressured to make campaign
contributions (as part of keeping their jobs).  Some state workers
would spend a good chunk of their time on political campaigns,
rather than doing their job.  A mid-level university employee sending
emails about a city council meeting doesn't even register on that
scale.

-- Wendy