[Peace-discuss] Ron Paul again

Bob Illyes illyes at uiuc.edu
Tue Aug 21 12:48:53 CDT 2007

Paul's libertarian positions used to make some sense, when we lived in a
continent largely depopulated by the introduction of European diseases. At
that time, there was much land to be had, and anyone who was willing to
work hard could feed a family, provided they weren't enslaved. This is no
longer the case, but the Libertarians seem to have blinders on regarding
the current reality. I have my doubts that an industrial democracy can be
functional without heavy taxation. Without it, we are largely unable to
address things that are in the common good, and the tragedy of the commons
is a given. Without it, we become Brazil.

How Ron Paul can miss this is beyond my ability to imagine, but given this
blindness it doesn't surprise me that he doesn't see issues of race
sensibly either.

He is wrong, but at least honorable, in my opinion. The Bushites believe in
the welfare state and big government regarding corporations and the
military, but not if helps the people in general. The current effort to
block health care for children is obscene. There is no honor in this crowd,
only greed.

Bob