[Peace-discuss] focus 580 alert interrogator Goldberg propaganda

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Tue Feb 6 10:09:51 CST 2007

On Tue, Feb 06, 2007 at 06:41:24AM -0800, Paul Mueth wrote:
> All, Carl, Dave  and Mort particularly
>
> I'm off on a mission across tundra - public I print
> day  ot sure I'll be able to compose a
> query/intervention .. .
>
> here's cockburn on goldberg,   a little on Remnick of
> NY
> (the latter said his mag didn't have any articles
> suggesting link between and alQuaida and Iraq  and
> asserted pinochet was elected)
>
> Hacks and Heroes: Meet the New Yorker's Goldberg; By
> ALEXANDER COCKBURN
> http://www.counterpunch.org/cockburn02282003.html
> 0
>     Who's the hack? I nominate The New Yorker's
> Jeffrey Goldberg. He's the new Remington, though
> without the artistic talent. Back in 1898, William
> Randolph Hearst was trying to fan war fever between
> the United States and Spain. He dispatched a reporter
> and the artist Frederic Remington to Cuba to send back
> blood-roiling depictions of Spanish beastliness to
> Cuban insurgents. Remington wired to say he could find
> nothing sensational to draw and could he come home.
> Famously, Hearst wired him, "Please remain. You
> furnish the pictures and I'll furnish the war."
> Remington duly did so.  .. ..
>
> satire might be the best approah
>
> cheney waved G's Halabja article around on Meet the Press

Oh yes -- is this the same Jeffrey Goldberg who wrote an
Amazon review of "Palestine: Peace Not Apartheid", complete with
   "Carter, not unlike God, has long been disproportionately
    interested in the sins of the Chosen People." or

   "There are differences, however, between Carter's
    understanding of Jewish sin and God's. God, according
    to the Jewish Bible, tends to forgive the Jews their sins.
    And God, unlike Carter, does not manufacture sins to hang
    around the necks of Jews when no sins have actually been
    committed."  or even

   "Carter does not recognize the fact that Israel, tired of
    the burdens of occupation, also dearly wants to give up the
    bulk of its West Bank settlements (the current prime minister,
    Ehud Olmert, was elected on exactly this platform)"
	(That's amazing.  Why don't they give them up then?)

 ?  I'm not quite sure whether it is the same person,
since the review was from the Washington Post, rather than
the New Yorker.  Anyone know?