[Peace-discuss] Rewording

Bob Illyes illyes at uiuc.edu
Tue Jul 3 16:39:51 CDT 2007

I'm not sure how to reword it, Carl, but I'll give it a stab. The first
sentence is the biggest problem in my opinion. For example, what wars and
occupations? To make occupation plural you have to consider Israel our
proxy. This is arguable. To make war plural you have to include Desert
Storm as an improper war (unless you consider Israel our proxy again). This
is also arguable- we freed an occupied country. The entire sentence is
problematic. Consider this:

   Who would say "the corporate economy drives America's criminal wars"?
   A Marxist.

   Would a lot of readers notice this?
   Yes.

   Can AWARE be effective as an antiwar group if it promotes Marxist ideology?
   No.

   QED

I'd do something like:

The corporate economy drives America's criminal war and occupation of Iraq,
and threatens Iran. The profitability of war to the defense industry is the
obvious reason for this, but there may be a longer-term profit. Both
Democratic and Republican administrations have demanded that the US control
Middle East energy resources, even though we import very little oil from
the Middle East for use in the US. This would not benefit the American
people, but would give US corporations considerable control over America's
principal economic competitors, Europe and northeast Asia (China, South
Korea and Japan).

Bob