[Peace-discuss] Letter to the News-Gazette

Marti tvchick at insightbb.com
Wed Jul 18 17:48:23 CDT 2007

Police review board needed in Champaign

Wednesday July 18, 2007

A recent shooting in Garden Hills has generated concerns within the
community. As a resident of Garden Hills and a member of CU Citizens for
Peace and Justice I met with Mildred Davis, who resides at Hedge Court, and
who said that what happened is different than what The News-Gazette reported
in a July 14 article.

The News-Gazette reported that officers opened fire after Torriano Johnson
shot at them and quoted Police Chief R.T. Finney saying that the suspect was
visible to them during the entire incident. Can Finney explain how the
bullets went through two sets of curtains which would effectively block
Johnson from the officers' field of vision?

Davis reported to me that Johnson did not fire his weapon after running into
her home. While I agree with Finney that officers do not have a choice on
locations where deadly force is present, the bottom line is that innocent
people were endangered by the actions of the police. Davis was sitting in
her chair by the window when the first shots were fired. I would like to
know what type of protocol is used by the police in this type of situation
and how would they respond if this incident had occurred in Cherry Hills as
opposed to Garden Hills?

I agree with the community leaders who have expressed a need for the
community and the police to work together and this is why Champaign needs a
citizens police review board.

MARTHA (MARTI) WILKINSON

Champaign

  _____