[Peace-discuss] More on Durbin

illyes at uiuc.edu illyes at uiuc.edu
Wed Jul 18 21:18:19 CDT 2007

I had to rush off before commenting properly on Durbin. I'd like to add a bit to what Bob said, which I find accurate and well put.

Durbin argued that impeachment was not a good idea because it would be too time-consuming and that we needed to get out of Iraq "now", but at least with a timetable. He believes that a number of Republicans who are up for reelection are going to come on board after looking closely at public opinion. He pointed out that his amendment is not dead, and will be brought up for another vote later, and that it will get the votes it needs. I agree that this is likely.

With regard to impeachment, he pointed out that regular hearings were now being held with regard to the sort of things that would justify impeachment, i.e., that the issues needed to be explored even though getting out of Iraq was more urgent than impeachment.

I had a brief conversation with my janitor tonight, who informed me that we had to defeat al Qaeda in Iraq or they would "follow us home." Something familiar about this language..... I think that Randall is right in suggesting that one of the most important messages is that we are CAUSING al Qaeda in Iraq. Durbin replied to Randall's suggestion by saying that the Democrats were getting that message out all the time. This certainly isn't getting to Illinois very well. I guess we have have to keep pounding away at communicating it.

Bob