[Peace-discuss] Champaign Citizen Police Review Board

Jan & Durl Kruse jandurl at insightbb.com
Mon Jul 30 22:54:43 CDT 2007

  See nasty editorial below:
On Jul 30, 2007, at 10:46 PM, Ricky Baldwin wrote:

> In the paper tonight Champaign mayor Jerry S. announced
> his intention to kill this before it can be even
> discussed any further.  He doesn't want even one more
> meeting after this to hear of it.
>
> Folks, especially Champaign residents, need to be
> there and speak up!
>
> There was also a nasty editorial tonight about
> Urbana's police review board proposal - a base lie
> that needs some letters to the editor in response!
>
> Ricky

Police review panel has plenty of teeth

Monday July 30, 2007

Next Monday, the Urbana City Council is going to meet and approve the
creation of a police review board that will be made up of citizens
charged with reviewing public complaints against police officers.

In the view of some people, mostly critics of law enforcement, the new
review process is a good way to ensure more accountability. But the
description of how the ordinance is intended to work and the provisions
actually in the ordinance are at odds, and that's a bad way to start
out.

Mayor Laurel Prussing has suggested that members of the review panel
will essentially act as an appellate court. She said their duties would
involve looking over the shoulder of Police Chief Mike Bily to see if,
in their opinion, he properly handled a citizen complaint against a
police officer. She said they would reach their judgment by examining
the same materials as the chief reviewed, much as an appellate court
conducts a judicial review by examining the written record of a trial
court.

Her original proposal would have done just that. But when Alderwoman
Danielle Chynoweth, the pied piper of the council majority, complained
the ordinance was too weak and that it needed to be stiffened with
subpoena power, Prussing quickly agreed.

Her position was that if Chynoweth wanted subpoena power, Prussing
would pacify her by providing it. But Prussing has suggested that it
will be seldom, if ever, used because most cities that have police
review boards armed with subpoena power seldom use it.

There is, of course, a difference between a power rarely being used and
never being used, and that difference could wreak havoc with
individuals targeted by Urbana's review panel.

For starters, subpoena power is a blunderbuss authority that, in our
society, is restricted only to a few forums. It not only lays the
groundwork for an abuse of power but has the potential to create
hostile situations where both citizens and city will feel compelled to
arm themselves with expensive lawyers.

Appellate courts don't exercise subpoena power, and a body that is
intended to conduct an appellate-like review certainly doesn't need it.

The ordinance also allows the review board to hear testimony, which
goes hand in hand with subpoena power. Appellate courts, of course,
don't hear live testimony. They review a record of the trial testimony.

So what the citizens of Urbana are confronted with is a police review
board that is portrayed as one thing and, most assuredly, is quite
another. That's not good.

How bad it is remains to be seen. Armed with subpoena power, zealots
can wreak havoc. Urbana's police review board members will be well
armed to do so.
  Find this article at:

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/opinions/editorials/2007/07/30/
police_review_panelhas_plenty_of_teeth