[Peace-discuss] Everybody knows the South had WMDs.

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 20:00:53 CDT 2007

At 01:48 PM 3/17/2007, Chuck Minne wrote:

>I think there is a good chance that 300 years from now all the eminent US
>historians will be saying that the Iraq War was fought because of "weapons
>of mass destruction," or to "free Iraq from Hussein's grip," or to "bring
>democracy to the Iraqis."

Bush's rationale will be mentioned, sure, just as the Domino Theory is
mentioned in conjunction with the Viet Nam war.  I hope, though, that the
"eminent" historians will go on to debunk the rationale.

(Actually I don't much give a damn, because I hope to be gone from here
long before 300 years from now.  No offense.)

>Now you can all tell me what you want, but when Lincoln says, "I have no
>purpose, directly or indirectly, to interfere with the institution of
>slavery... I cannot believe that that war was any more about slavery than
>it was to rid the South of weapons of mass destruction, or to free the
>Negro from Southerners' grip, or to bring democracy to the Negroes.

As has been previously stated, LINCOLN'S primary goal was to maintain the
Union intact, which meant that the South had to be prevented from
seceding.  But what made the South want to secede in the first place?  What
led up to that?

>How do you think the Iraq War will be described in 300 years? (At least in
>US history books.)

Depends on the outcome.  But probably as a fiasco similar to the Viet Nam war.

>And how about the Indian Wars - do we ever admit that they were just for
>us to steal their land?

Honest, objective historians do.  _I_ most certainly do.

>No, they were to save lives - I guess.

That too.  :-)  Depends on the historical perspective.

>Can you tell me of a war that was primarily fought for the benefit of the
>downtrodden?

Well, we use different nomenclature.  Wars fought primarily for the benefit
of the downtrodden are initiated by the downtrodden themselves, and are
termed "wars of liberation" or "revolutions".  We have one in our own
checkered history.

Surprisingly, though, the Brits had a different term for that war.  I
imagine they still do.  :-)

John Wason, eminence grise