[Peace-discuss] Fractious sheep?

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Thu Mar 29 15:45:57 CDT 2007

The metaphor is appropriate to the season, though:

	"We had all gone astray like sheep,
	each taking his own way,
	and Yahweh brought the acts of rebellion
	of all of us to bear on him" [Isaiah 53:6].

As to being a revolutionary, I'm reminded of the concluding lines of Tom
Stoppard's brilliant play Travesties, from more than 30 years ago:

"Great days ... Zurich during the war. Refugees, spies, exiles,
painters, poets, writers, radicals of all kinds. I knew them all. Used
to argue far into the night ... at the Odeon, the Terrasse ... I learned
three things in Zurich during the war. I wrote them down. Firstly,
you're either a revolutionary or you're not, and if you're not you might
as well be an artist as anything else. Secondly, if you can't be an
artist, you might as well be a revolutionary...
I forget the third thing."

--CGE (who's trying to remember the third thing)