[Peace-discuss] Vote today to end the war, call Rep. Johnson now

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Fri May 11 04:56:14 CDT 2007

I called Johnson's office to urge him to vote for the McGovern bill on
redeployment [sic]: he didn't, and it lost 171-225, although McGovern
said he was surprised that there were so many votes in favor.  I think
we should rather be surprised that there were so few. The bill in its
final form wasn't that strong -- it essentially endorsed a continuation
of the "bipartisan" US policy in the ME, which the electorate voted
against last fall.

I also urged Johnson to vote against the Democrats' war funding bill: he
did, but the bill passed 221-205.  It's outrageous that the Democrats
who say that they are "against the war" (like Speaker Pelosi) should
vote more money it.  Only ten House Democrats recognized this obvious
point and voted against funding, while 219 voted for it!

It might be worthwhile to call Johnson tomorrow and urge him to support
House Resolution 333, "Articles of Impeachment against Vice President
Cheney," introduced by Dennis Kucinich (D-OH) -- not that I think he
will.  Kucinich's bill charges Cheney with manipulation of intelligence
to invade Iraq and threats against Iran.  I'm glad to say that last week
Illinois' 9th District Rep. Jan Schakowsky became a co-sponsor.  --CGE