[Peace-discuss] News-Gazette - write our own reviews of events: Mother's Response to war!

Jan & Durl Kruse jandurl at insightbb.com
Wed Nov 14 16:55:23 CST 2007

The following letter was just sent to the News-Gazette.  Not sure they
will print it!
JAN K

Please DO Not leave out and /or change  parts of this letter!  (I put
this at the top:  wanting to avoid the N-G's constant changing and
editing of letters without asking the writer about these changes.

November 12, the Monday after Veteran’s Day an important and meaningful
event took place at the Urbana Civic Center: A Mother's Response to
war.
A News-Gazette reporter chose not to do a story about this event ahead
of time. Two local Television stations (channel 3 and 15) showed up to
cover the event, yet missed the true content of what actually took
place.  However, the 60-70 people present can testify that
  an amazing event  took place. If you had attended you would have heard
mothers of soldiers speaking.  These are soldiers who have served or
been wounded or are currently deployed in Iraq.  These mothers spoke
with facts and rage, poetry and eloquence.  One mother though she could
not be present sent her art installation: "The Decider" to show in a
dramatic way the devastation of the Iraq war on the soldiers and the
Iraqi people. This event missed out on an advance human-interest story
from the News-Gazette since the reporter would only do an advance story
if one of the mother agreed to “name” her soldier son. She said no.
Despite this, the AWARE organized event went forward and those who
attended found meaning and comfort from the presence of Iraq Veterans
Against War and Mothers of soldiers who say “this war must end”.
This was an "anti-war, bring the troops home, end the war" event and
those speaking and listening are wondering when our government and the
media will catch up with the citizens of this country.