[Peace-discuss] on Kucinich and Paul

Karen Medina kmedina at uiuc.edu
Thu Nov 15 08:54:54 CST 2007

>   The German Chancellor is "elected", right? Hitler,
>   too.

This is what bothers me. A democracy should provide ways to "sack" an elected official when they turn out to be doing horrible things, like breaking international laws for instance.

Impeachment is a safety valve for just such a situation.

But so many Americans don't want to use the safety valve. Along the same lines, some people say that Bush is the Commander-in-chief of the military and must be followed, yet there is nothing that qualifies him to do the job, nor does he listen to the people who are qualified.

So how has Bush established the untouchable status that no democratic leader should ever achieve? Is it through poor education of the masses (not necessarily of Bush as an individual) in the high school civics classes? Are we learning that you can fool lots of people for a very long time?

-karen medina