[Peace-discuss] The Clinton/Bush generation

Laurie laurie at advancenet.net
Thu Sep 20 13:34:01 CDT 2007

> Linking from that web site, here's an interesting proposal by the Green
Party of the United States, "Moving >the Money to Main Street":
http://www.gp.org/mainstreet/  .  Maybe some of you readers could identify a
>couple of good, local, socially responsible banks or credit unions in the
C-U area where we could all bank?

>John Wason

John,

Very interesting question.    In this day and age, I doubt that there really
are any except possibly in some of the very small rural towns and villages
which still have local banks; but even they are about the task of making
money and so engage in safe investments which they define as socially
responsible actions.  Even on the national level, there are only a few such
institutions and organizations that come close to being socially responsible
in the sense that you mean.

The procedure for determining what is a socially responsible bank in your
local area as set forth in the web site you have given a link to is good as
far as it goes; but it fails to note that even local and regional
institutions very well can be subsidiaries of larger not so socially
responsible operations of belong to holding companies that are not.  Even
university credit unions are often part of the university and the university
may not be all that socially responsible.  The UofI supports all kinds of
research which is not socially responsible as well as research for socially
non-responsible entitites like the Dept. of Defense.  Moreover, it
indirectly facilitates consulting by its faculty and staff which is done for
socially non-responsible entities and projects.  So how do you track the
hidden and covert, indirect, and implicit connections?