[Peace-discuss] Fwd: [HumanRights] Qumsiyeh report

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Sun Sep 23 23:19:34 CDT 2007

I freely confess to substantial ignorance but not disingenuity.  I
really did not know what the four of us were tending to sweep under the
rug -- and I'm still not quite sure.

The facts of historical incidents are almost always difficult to come
by, and we can usually do no better than probabilities, but they can be
sorted into the more and less probable.

[1] Was there guilty knowledge of the planning for the 911 attacks by a
person or persons within the US (or Israeli) government?  It is
possible, but I think highly unlikely.

[2] Were several thousand people killed by a group of jihadists
motivated by the oppression of the Palestinians, the sanctions against
Iraq, and the military presence of the US in Saudi Arabia and the
subservience of that and other Arab governments to it?  I think the
probability approaches certainty, although remember that the USG in the
person of the FBI director was unwilling to say definitely that Osama
bin Laden was the source of the attack for a year after 911.

Given that, it seems to me that the obsessive concern to show that [1]
is so, is a distraction from opposing the murderous imperialism of the
US in the ME, and even from understanding what the sources of that
imperialism are.

In a less important fashion (and mostly after the fact), the desire to
show a conspiracy behind the Kennedy assassination led to some bad
historical and political readings of the Vietnam War -- notably in
Oliver Stone's movie.

Suppose it's true that a group within the government, perhaps in the
OVP, helped plan 911, suspended air cover, had explosive charges placed
in the buildings, etc.  Would that obviate the US imperial interests in
the ME, the real reason for the war?  Would proof of it bring the war to
an end?

Of course we'd like to know, but to substitute such questions for
analysis of and opposition to the war seems to me a mistake, because of
the low probability.  --CGE