[Peace-discuss] The Public i and free speech

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Wed Apr 16 20:24:43 CDT 2008

I don't think you understand what happened in that incident, Ricky.  The Public
i proposed to change substantively what I'd written and publish it over my name.

I had sent them an article, which they had solicited, with the express provision
that they had my permission to publish it over my name only if I approved
changes -- but they had no permission to publish it with changes that I hadn't
approved.   I did that because I knew that there were political differences
between me and them (specifically on the virtues of the Democrats). When I was
told privately by a member of the editorial board that changes had been made on
that subject, and they did not seek my approval, I wrote (several times) to
remind them of the written condition I'd attached.

Only when I received no answer did I write and say that I would sue to defend my
contract with them.  At that point Belden -- apparently the eminence grise of
the Public i -- called to say that they would publish it only if I withdrew the
threat to defend the condition under which I'd contributed the piece.

Naturally I refused.  At no time did I threaten the Public i's free speech.
They are obviously free to publish any opinion they want.  But they were not
free to publish my piece without my permission. --CGE

P.S.--The piece in question appears at
<http://www.counterpunch.org/estabrook04162007.html>.