[Peace-discuss] Hedges: only a candidate who calls for an immediate end to the war...

Neil Parthun lennybrucefan at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 10:38:16 CDT 2008

Policy wise, there was little stated difference between Gore and
Bush.  Both are beholden to major corporate interests that write the
policies of the United States.  After 9/11, Gore would have invaded
Afghanistan and it is a joke to think otherwise.

There is indeed a time for reality.  As Tom said, it is idealistic to
believe that the Democratic Party who has had two years to stop the
wholesale slaughter in Iraq (with just the Congressional majority --
they've had opportunities since 2003 when they voted for the imperial
war policy) will do so when they get a D in the White House.  Hell,
Pelosi said impeachment was off the table for the arch-war criminals
that currently inhabit Washington.  Why?!  If they are truly an
opposition party that truly was opposed to the imperial war policy,
then why not punish the President who started the war?  They won't
even bring contempt charges against Karl Rove for not honoring a
subpoena.  And I'm supposed to believe that these people will all of
a sudden take a principled stand and end the war immediately?

Obama has clearly stated his policies of continued war.  Obama has
stated that military operations against Iran are still on the table.
Obama has clearly stated his opposition to many policies that I find
important (single payer health care, et al.)  The idea of the lesser
of two evils keeps us beholden to a party that doesn't have to
actually stand up for what the people left of center believe in.
They can just shake the supposed boogeyman of the the "Insert
Republican Candidate X" and say that it could be worse.  No, I find a
candidate who says that he is a friend of the working class and then
co-opts outrage about the war, etc. to better his electoral chances
is disingenuous, wrong and worse.  The "lesser of two evils" approach
in Bush vs Clinton in the 1990's got us war, occupation, mass death
in Yugoslavia, welfare policies that punished the poor significantly,
sitting on the sidelines as a genocide of hundreds of thousands of
Rwandans took place and more -- and this was from a Democratic
President.

I base my vote off of what the candidates say.  His slogan says it
all "Hope...".  I'd rather have firm commitments from a candidate
before I give my vote rather than (to quote the classic song)
"wishing and hoping and praying" that Obama will do the things that I
find to be right -- such as ending the illegal, imperial occupations,
establishing a single payer health care system, expanding social
assistance programs, etc.

There is only this moment,

      Neil

  We absolutely have to refuse to attribute any kind of permanency to
that which is simply because it is.
[angela v. davis, 1944-]

The point is, the only real tools we have are our eyes and our heads.
Its not the act of seeing with our own eyes alone; its correctly
comprehending what we see.
[warren ellis, 1968-]