[Peace-discuss] Israeli massacre in Gaza [and J Street PAC's call to end the violence and the blockade]

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Mon Dec 29 00:34:49 CST 2008

On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 12:13:25AM -0600, C. G. Estabrook wrote:
> Naturally I mean that you can't say things that aren't true.
>
> The quoted statement as a whole is objectionable. You refer only to the
> statement's "declining to assign blame" -- rather difficult without falling
> into the "all are equally at fault" nonsense, an attempt to equalize the crimes
> -- "disingenuous at best."

No, I don't think that's right.  Consider the atmosphere,
where so many people, not only Americans and Israeli politicians but also
Mahmoud Abbas, are saying "This invasion is all Hamas' fault".

The J St. statement is carefully *not* saying that both
sides are *equally* at fault.  If they did, it would be
misrepresentation, and I'd agree they'd be in the wrong.
Instead they say

    [...] And there is nothing to be gained from debating which injustice
    is greater or came first.   What's needed now is immediate action
    to stop the violence before it spirals out of control.

> The statement also misrepresents the role of the US as passive or
> uninvolved while calling for its intervention -- more nonsense,
> hardly innocent: they know what they're writing. --CGE

How does it do that (represent the current role of the US
as anything in particular)?  Or do you mean that they omitted to
point out that the US is a massive supplier of arms, political support,
etc., i.e. a "friend" to Israel?

Disturbing the unquestioned passive portion of US support for Israel --
under which "American politicians are already hearing from those who
see only one side" -- seems like exactly what this kind of call
is intended to do!