[Peace-discuss] Democracy Now! & the Israel Lobby

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Fri Feb 15 18:28:19 CST 2008

[As usual what is not said is most important.  Rothschild defended the
description of NF as at least a "holocaust-minimizer." Finkelstein's comments
follow.  --CGE]

Several listeners to Wisconsin Public Radio informed me last week that The
Progressive Political Editor, Ruth Conniff, referred to me as an "anti-Semite"
and a "Holocaust denier" on air. I have now had an opportunity to listen to an
audiotape of the program on which she appeared. These are Conniff's exact words:

"I was talking to a friend of mine who is going up for tenure at DePaul
University at the same time as Norm Finkelstein, a colleague of hers who is a
Holocaust denier, who is a Holocaust minimizer, sort of a, y'know, he's a
celebrity in a certain, a pretty ugly anti-semitic group in the country and he
is going up for tenure and I think is on his way to becoming a tenured professor."

I requested from Progressive editor-in-chief Mathew Rothschild the evidence to
support these allegations or a retraction and an apology ... In the replies of
his that have been cc'd to me, he's repeatedly stated that:

     * he carefully checked the facts before writing the letter
     * Conniff did not intend any harm with her remarks on my tenure case, and
     * he has no regrets about what she said or what he wrote...