[Peace-discuss] Clinton stumping for Clinton on C-SPAN

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Wed Jan 2 09:28:12 CST 2008

The answer is that there is a contradiction rather than a convergences
between the interests of the few who hold wealth an power in the country
and the majority.  The Clintons and Obamas are working for them, not for
us, and their job is marketing -- to convince the majority that the
contradiction doesn't exist.

But the contradiction has become more apparent over the last forty years
as inequality in the US has increased.  Today it's increasing ever more
rapidly, according to the Congressional Budget Office last month.

For most Americans, real wages have been flat for most of that period.
Up to the 1970s, a young American graduating from college could acquire
a spouse, a car, a house and children on one salary.  By the 1990s, a
couple of my students graduating from UIUC were lucky if they could
count on renting an apartment with two (or more) salaries -- and not
much thought of anything beyond that.

This confiscation of the lives of the middle class is the unnamed source
of much of the angst roiling the body politic.  And it's up to people
like the Clintons to keep the lid on, by promises of "hope" and "change"
while in fact helping only the rich get richer.  Of course the threat of
terrorism helps: our leaders promote it and promise protect us from it,
usually by killing people in a foreign place, actually to the interest
of the small US elite, as in the case of ME energy.

The resulting unacknowledged panic in the population is likely to emerge
in madness -- rage toward immigrants, say, or support for Ron Paul...
--CGE