[Peace-discuss] Foodstuff biofuels: going against the grain of humanity and common sense.

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Wed Jul 2 20:23:20 CDT 2008

Linda's serious point reminds me of a couple of related matters, with perhaps
serious implications:

[1] Words for "money" is almost all Indo-European languages are derived from
words for cattle.
	(E.g., Latin "pecunia," from "pecus" = cow.)  That's presumably a result of the
Neolithic social formations of these people, among whom wealth was measured by
possession of these recently-domesticated animals.  (Old habits die hard: when
European colonialists arrived in East Africa in the 19th century, they called
Africans with more cattle "Tutsis" and those with fewer cattle "Hutus" -- and
claimed the difference was racial!  Worse, they said the Tutsis came from the
north -- nearer Europe -- and the Hutus, from the south: it was apparently all
racist imperialist fantasy -- tragically adopted by the Africans who were taught
it.)

[2] Europeans' drinking (cows') milk beyond infancy is an example of “neoteny.”
	(OED = "The retention of juvenile characteristics in a [sexually] mature
organism; esp. the appearance of ancestral juvenile characteristics in the adult
stage of a descendant, spec. as an evolutionary process in which somatic
development is retarded.") Normal human beings lose the ability to digest milk
beyond infancy.  But Indo-Europeans relied on cattle for food from ca. 8000 BCE,
so children who couldn't digest milk beyond infancy died, which cut down on
their progeny (i.e., a Darwinist would say that the neoteny was "selected for.")
  Again, in imperialist and racist fashion, the Europeans turned their bug into
a feature, and regarded all other human beings as having a deficiency --
“lactose-intolerance”!

I've cut out dairy, as a protest against the Neolithic scarcity economy.  --CGE