[Peace-discuss] Re: [Peace] No War on Iran demo in Chicago

Karen Medina kmedina at illinois.edu
Sat Jul 26 10:41:32 CDT 2008

cge and mkb were writing about Code Pink's waffling and Medea Benjamin's statement:
>"It’s not enough to simply say 'Troops out now.' Should we be calling for talks with the Taliban? ... Should we advocate a timeline for the withdrawal of U.S. troops and if so, based on what criteria?"

About a year ago I was participating in a campus demonstration spearheaded by the Green party students but with loads of other groups participating. They wanted one of the "demands" to be "troops out now". It was fairly easy to convince them that it should be "troops home now".

Bring them home now. But even this I say with a little shudder -- the load on society when they do come home is going to be tremendous. You of course realize who we send when it is an all-volunteer operation: young people who felt that their job prospects were not so good to start with. Now they will be coming home damaged as well as jobless. Oh the things this administration has done to ruin our young people and the economy. Heartbreaking.

-karen medina