[Peace-discuss] Body of War (documentary) featured on Bill Moyer's Journal Friday, May 30 (repeat)

Jenifer Cartwright jencart13 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 2 00:07:20 CDT 2008

On Friday, May 30th, Bill Moyer's Journal ran a repeat of a show featuring Phil Donohue's documentary Body of War, which the Kruses plan to approach Greg Boardman about acquiring. The young man in question has become an activist and spokesperson for IVAW, a group we all need to $upport (on-line or P O Box 8246, Phila, PA 19101).
   --Jenifer

   P S When the show first aired (March2008) John Wason posted the following --
      John Wason wrote:

Did anyone watch Bill Moyers last night?  The subject was another powerful documentary film called "Body of War", produced by Phil Donahue, which portrays the daily life of a young (27-year-old) man in Kansas City who volunteered for the military to "get the bad guys" several days after 9/11, was sent to Iraq rather than Afghanistan, was shot five days after arriving in Iraq, and is now paralyzed from the "nipples" down.  It graphically portrays the human cost of war.  One particularly poignant scene is where the young man is sitting in his wheelchair, watching some sort of TV show in which our nation's bright and shiny leaders, attired in tuxedos and without noticeable physical impairments, are making jokes about Osama bin Laden and so on.

Ironically, while the young man and his mother seem to have gained a new awareness of American foreign policy, the kid's stepfather still believes that we're in Iraq "because we want peace", and his younger brother enlists in the military to go get the bad guys in Iraq.

John Wason