[Peace-discuss] Pander-Bear...Ack!

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Wed May 14 16:19:02 CDT 2008

Good question. Three reasons, in ascending order of importance:

[1] the anti-war movement in the US: by the late 1960s, about 70% of Americans
thought that the war was not "a mistake" but was "fundamentally wrong and immoral";

[2] the brave resistance to re-colonization by a peasant society against an
industrial one, although we killed perhaps three million of them and all but
destroyed their country; and

[3] the revolt of the American expeditionary force in Vietnam: we discovered
what the French had discovered in SE Asia before us -- you can't win a colonial
war with a conscript army (which is why the draft ended -- to be succeeded by
"volunteers" and mercenaries).

It's important to note that the US won the Vietnam War, not in the sense of
achieving its maximum war aim of imposing a biddable government in the South
(which was always the prime US enemy, and where most of the fighting took
place), but in that we destroyed the "threat of a good example" -- the
possibility of independent economic development directed by the Vietnamese
themselves.  That was the real "domino theory," and Vietnam is now thoroughly
subordinated to US economic hegemony: they beg for Nike factories, as we meant
them to. --CGE