[Peace-discuss] taxes for school

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Thu Oct 23 14:16:22 CDT 2008

Yes. Don't tax productive economic activity, tax wealth.  Remove all corporate
taxes (that's practically been done) but also remove the civil rights of
corporations as "legal persons."

But wealth owned by corporations would be assigned to individuals (principally
shareholders) for accounting purposes and then taxed. (We do that now informally
-- that's why we say Bill Gates and Warren Buffett are rich.)

Wealth should be taxed in a way that reverses the accelerating trend to
inequality (and plans for that exist). Under the pressure of neoliberalism,
those European countries that had (small) wealth taxes have removed them (except
France and Switzerland).

Removing taxes from productive investment (but not speculation -- the Tobin tax)
would presumably create jobs, as would the removal of income taxes (a much
larger stimulus than is being contemplated). But the existence of jobs shouldn't
depend on whether they enrich corporations.  People have a right to exercise
their talents of head and hands in a useful way, and government must organize
and apply that work. Everyone has a right to a job and a livable income.

These proposals were mentioned when I ran for Congress in 2002 -- a campaign you
worked on, John.  --CGE