[Peace-discuss] Mike Gravel on Palin

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Wed Sep 3 15:50:25 CDT 2008

You're flailing a bit here, Mort. Some of our friends even seem to think I spend
too much time stating my own opinions, but I obviously haven't got them across
too well to you -- perhaps because I'm an affluent, college-educated person who
unlike you is not particularly "exercised by guns and religion."

In your criticism of what you take to be my views you don't address the two
points I actually make:

	[1] "Biden is..."

	[2] "...social issues are the opiate..."

I suppose that's because the first is obviously true; but your unwillingness to
look at the evidence ("I care not what Larry Bartels ... says") for the second
strikes me as a bit unscientific.

My "polemical emails" (who would do such a thing?) are an attempt to convince
members of an anti-war movement that the presidential election is meant to be a
distraction and that the pretense that the Democratic candidate is anti-war is a
fraud.

In our America, policy is well-insulated from politics -- we have at best a
simulacrum of democracy -- and a serious anti-war movement has to recognize
that, if it's not to be co-opted.  Passionately preferring a candidate within
the allowable limits of debate is a recipe for irrelevance.

That's what they want you to do. --CGE