[Peace-discuss] Mike Gravel on Palin

Brussel Morton K. mkbrussel at comcast.net
Wed Sep 3 20:01:26 CDT 2008

Comments below.

On Sep 3, 2008, at 3:50 PM, C. G. Estabrook wrote:

> You're flailing a bit here, Mort. Some of our friends even seem to
> think I spend
> too much time stating my own opinions, but I obviously haven't got
> them across
> too well to you -- perhaps because I'm an affluent, college-
> educated person who
> unlike you is not particularly "exercised by guns and religion."

I believe that you are much exercised by religion. I've listened to
argumentation with Paul Mueth on your (former) WEFT program. As to
guns, I don't know which guns you refer to.

> In your criticism of what you take to be my views you don't address
> the two
> points I actually make:
>
> 	[1] "Biden is..."
>
> 	[2] "...social issues are the opiate..."

As often happens, you beg the question by bringing up non sequiturs.
My point is that you lambaste the Democrats far more than the
Republicans, and in particular Obama and Biden more than McCain and
(now) his new choice for vice-president.
	I have no illusions about the foreign policies of a Biden or Obama;
there are only marginal differences (which may be important) here
from those of the Bush administration and the neocons. I would only
note that we have stark evidence of the Bush/Cheney policies; no
guesses are necessary. For Obama, there is a degree of uncertainty,
e.g.,  diplomacy before bombs, thus a glimmer of hope, and in this
sense perhaps a meaningful distinction between them. On domestic
issues, which evidently you deem unimportant, so called "social
issues"!,  there are meaningful differences. Such as nominations to
the Supreme Court. I have the feeling that you would be happy, though
not admitting so, with another Scalia, Rehnquist or Thomas there, so
that women's and constitutional rights would continue to be eroded.

> I suppose that's because the first is obviously true; but your
> unwillingness to
> look at the evidence ("I care not what Larry Bartels ... says") for
> the second
> strikes me as a bit unscientific.

Science has no application here. Political scientists come out on all
sides of almost every issue.

> My "polemical emails" (who would do such a thing?) are an attempt
> to convince
> members of an anti-war movement that the presidential election is
> meant to be a
> distraction and that the pretense that the Democratic candidate is
> anti-war is a
> fraud.

I' m led to think that your anti-war credentials are compromised by
your implicit favoritism of the Bush/Cheney, soon to be a McCain
gang. Your constant harping on Obama's defects seem obsessive.

> In our America, policy is well-insulated from politics -- we have
> at best a
> simulacrum of democracy -- and a serious anti-war movement has to
> recognize
> that, if it's not to be co-opted.  Passionately preferring a
> candidate within
> the allowable limits of debate is a recipe for irrelevance.

Who's passionately preferring a candidate? Again a begging of the
important questions.