[Peace-discuss] Mike Gravel on Palin

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Wed Sep 3 20:44:33 CDT 2008

*You think it important whether a candidate is a creationist or not (and I
don't): that's being "exercised by religion."

*On the "guns & religion" argument, see Thomas Franks' book: that's what Bartels
was critiquing.

*You still don't respond to the two points I made in the original post.  Is my
description of Biden correct?  Is Bartels right about the distraction of he elite?

*If I "lambaste the Democrats far more than the Republicans," it's because
they're the ones who need to be exposed.  They pretend to be anti-war, when they
aren't -- as should have been obvious since the 2006 election, but for some in
the anti-war movement, hope springs eternal.  That seem to make them open to
co-option by the Democrats, who've been working hard at it.

*I think Scalia, Rehnquist, Thomas -- and Roberts and Alioto -- are unfortunate
appointments. (Biden, in a position to stop them, didn't.)  But they weren't
appointed for their views on abortion but rather on business.  Liberals'
distrust of democracy and the ignorant mob has for too long now meant that they
looked to the courts to accomplish their political goals.

*Polling is tout court unscientific and can therefore be disregarded?

*I have no "implicit favoritism of the Bush/Cheney, soon to be a McCain gang,"
unless my unwillingness to collude in the cover-up of Obama's defects is enough
   to constitute that.

*You have seemed just a bit passionate about my criticisms of the Democratic
candidate.