[Peace-discuss] Re: [sf-core] FW: VOTE! 1% county sales tax for schools

C. G. ESTABROOK cge at shout.net
Fri Apr 3 13:25:30 CDT 2009

[I have no brief for the Libertarians, but I also haven't heard a good response
to this argument against a regressive tax, set out by the their local chair last
fall.  Is there one? --CGE]

	Voters should reject harmful sales tax increase for schools

On Nov. 4 Champaign County voters will be asked to approve a 1% sales tax for
school facility expenditures such as new construction, repairs, energy
conservation and security. The tax will be collected throughout the county and
allocated to our 14 school districts based on enrollment.

Although officials say they need more money for schools, this is the wrong tax
at the wrong time. This tax is regressive, puts an undue burden on taxpayers,
has no sunset and takes power away from voters. It's ill-conceived and should be
rejected.

The greatest problem posed by this tax is what our Legislature may do with our
money. When the General Assembly instituted a state lottery, it promised to use
the money for education. Although it was indeed used for education, the
Legislature reduced the school money coming from the General Fund by the same
amount. Education had the same budget as before, but the Legislature had more
money to pay for new projects.

Insiders expect the Legislature to play the same game with the school facilities
sales tax. Whatever money we raise locally will end up reducing the money coming
from the state.

Sales taxes are always regressive because lower income families pay a larger
percentage of their income in sales taxes than wealthier families do. Although
this tax won't apply to food, medicine or vehicles, it increases the cost of
clothing, school supplies, toiletries and other basic items.

The state collects a 6.25% sales tax, an amount exceeded by only seven states.
When local sales taxes are included, Champaign County residents pay 7.75%. In
March Cook County voted to raise its sales tax to 10.25%, the highest in the
country. If the school sales tax passes, we won't be far behind.

Illinois citizens are overtaxed in other ways too. Our gas tax is 39.5 cents per
gallon, exceeded only by California, Connecticut and New York. And the 6.25%
general sales tax adds another 20 to 25 cents to a gallon of gas.

According to the ALEC-Laffer State Competitiveness Index, Illinois is ranked
48th, beating only Michigan and Ohio. Our high taxes encourage businesses to go
elsewhere, and hurt our economy. Fewer businesses mean less revenue, which makes
it harder to pay for necessary services.

A new tax is not good policy for families already experiencing economic stress.

Many farmers, developers and other large landowners support this initiative
because it may later reduce government reliance on property taxes. According to
the Tax Foundation, Illinois residents paid $1407 per capita in property
taxes—the 9th highest in the nation—in fiscal year 2004, the latest year for
which the Census Bureau has published state-by-state data.

Although local school districts say they will reduce their property tax rates if
the sales tax passes, any reduction will only be temporary and will be less than
the projected income from the sales tax. And any reduction would be voluntary
and could be changed in the future.

We are being given a tax increase, not a tax swap.

Another problem with the proposed sales tax is that there's no sunset clause
mandating the end of this tax. And it can't be repealed as long as any school
district has outstanding bonds which are being paid by this income stream.
Because bonds last for years, the chances of repeal are slim.

Although Illinois and some local towns are losing residents, this tax will keep
flowing to all county school districts whether they need it or not. Local
residents won't get to vote on whether new construction is necessary, because
school districts will be able to fund these projects without voter approval. In
fact, the ability to avoid future tax referendums is the major reason school
districts want this one to pass.

And for those interested in getting more money into the classroom, know this:
This tax can only be used for facility needs, not the operating costs that pose
the greatest challenge in our education system.

Although the chamber of commerce will be meeting with local legislators to
discuss fixing the problems posed by this tax, nothing can be resolved before we
vote. Given Springfield's track record, it would be ridiculous to vote for this
tax and hope that all goes well.

We must demand that our legislators provide responsible solutions to our
pressing problems. And we need to insist that our school districts fund their
needs without bankrupting our economy and harming our citizens.

School districts have said they're so desperate for money they'll take it from
any source. That's the political version of prostitution and is unworthy of
those responsible for instructing our next generation.

This is the wrong tax at the wrong time. Vote “no” on the sales tax.

Dianna Visek of Urbana is chair of the Champaign County Libertarian Party.

Copyright © 2008 Champaign County Libertarian Party. All Rights Reserved.