FW: [Peace-discuss] Fw: Lou Dobbs is dangerous

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Thu Aug 13 13:04:34 CDT 2009

Of course you should shout "Fire!" in a crowded theatre, if there is a fire.

The famous line comes from an utterly reprehensible SC decision in 1919, Schenck
v. United States. "The most stringent protection of free speech would not
protect a man falsely shouting fire in a theater and causing a panic," wrote
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. How had Schenck "falsely shouted fire"?  He had
distributed flyers opposing the draft!  The SC in its majesty ruled that the USG
could punish him for that, regardless of the First Amendment.

(The great jurist Holmes, fond of sententious sayings, was also admired by some
peculiar people for his ruling in Buck v. Bell [1927], permitting the
involuntary sterilization of a young Virgina woman: "Three generations of
imbeciles are enough." Expert testimony came from a field worker for the
"Eugenics Record Office" -- Dr. Arthur Estabrook...  Nazi eugenics legislation
was based on the American practice, established by Holmes; the US SC has never
reversed the general concept of eugenic sterilization.)

And Holmes' decision in Schenck was not overturned for 50 years. In Brandenburg
v. Ohio (1969) the court limited the scope of banned speech to that which would
be directed to and likely to incite imminent lawless action (e.g. a riot). The
test in Brandenburg is the current SC standard -- the government cannot punish
inflammatory speech unless it is directed to inciting and likely to incite
imminent lawless action.

Obviously the hate speech that Jenifer et al. want banned does not pass that
test.  --CGE