[Peace-discuss] Opposition to Obama's war

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Wed Dec 2 12:08:26 CST 2009

Obama's speech (and actions) was reminiscent of Nixon's at the invasion of
Cambodia.  One can only hope that the murder & mayhem he's causing may similarly
redound on his presidency. (It was the SE Asian war, not the Watergate
bagatelle, that caused Nixon's departure in disgrace.)

Karena Medina's interview on WILL this morning from last evening's demonstration
sounded great.  Well done.

And Tim Johnson is quoted as follows in this morning's News-Gazette:

    ...Obama's plan is "exactly the reverse" of what the U.S. government should
be doing.

    "Militarily, President Obama has decided to pursue a strategy that will
sacrifice more U.S. lives in a meatgrinder of a war with no end, all to prop up
governments that have proven incompetent, corrupt and unwilling to support even
our own strategies,” Johnson said.  “Worse, our efforts are creating enemies
among a populace that sees us as occupiers and interlopers in their homeland.”

Because, of course, we are.

I called Tim's office to congratulate him on the statement and ask about how the
drafting of his proposed bill on the subject is coming.

I'm sure he's getting calls on the other side, so we might encourage calls to
him at 202-225-2371.  --CGE