Fw: [Peace-discuss] Food for thought?

LAURIE SOLOMON LAURIE at ADVANCENET.NET
Sun Jan 11 17:05:52 CST 2009

>But the plan of the society was oriented (no pun here) toward people who
dont have
>cars and so it works pretty well that way.

Yes, but that is the key.  Most contemporary industrialized nations are no
longer oriented that way and attempts to add those orientations onto the
existing ones and structures tends not to work very well.  Furthermore, to
return to orientations that support green infrastructure often costs so much
as not to be cost effective.  The return of a  tracked or overhead electric
wired trolley  system to L.A. is a good example.  Ironically ( like mass
transit) bicycles and foot transportation, roller skates or skate board,
scooters, etc.  work best and are most justifiable when the sever areas of
high population density with not only definable departure and destination
locations but a wide variety of neighborhood shops like green grocers,
butchers, drug stores, general stores, coffee shops, restaurants, etc.
within the nearby neighborhood so that one can get things to take home
frequently in small quantities that one can carry effectively and
efficiently on a bike and by hand  without worrying about inclement weather,
defrosting of frozen foods, or the need to stock up.  In less dense
communities where there is no central sets of departure and destination
points that large numbers of people use and no  nearby local shops that one
can stop off at on the way to work or home, mass transit becomes less
efficient and effective, more costly, etc. as does other green types of
alternative transportation.  The same can be said for other types of
infrastructures such as sewer  and water systems, electric grids and wired
telephone and internet, streets and sidewalks, street lighting, police and
fire services, food services, etc.