[Peace-discuss] Gitmo to close, torture out

Barbara kessel barkes at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 14:22:15 CST 2009

Ricky, I agree that this is good news, and also "it ain't over." That it
should rise to the top level of an Obama things-to-do list is possibly
because a) the military top brass have been unhappy with the Bush policies
on interrogation, and b) there has been a persistent lobby for change on
this issue for the last four years - in Washington, in New York, with NRCAT,
- the national religious committee against torture. We need to appreciate
what has apparently worked whenever we make progress. The media (see
Newsweek cover last week and the rebirth of "24" TV program) is still
beating the drum for torture. Barbara