[Peace-discuss] PEACE DISCUSS --July 31 at 8:30 P.M. "From Palestine to Pakistan: Prospects of the Obama Strategy to Manage Disorder."

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Fri Jul 31 22:53:07 CDT 2009

The worst farrago of nonsense and propaganda that I've heard in 40 years -- and
then it was academic apologists explaining "prospects of the Nixon strategy to
manage disorder" in SE Asia.

In fact, the most insightful comments on such managements of disorder was given
by Mayor Daley I after the police riot at the Chicago Democratic convention in
1968: "The policeman isn't there to create disorder; the policeman is there to
preserve disorder!"

But the American policeman in the Middle East hardly made an appearance in
tonight's talk.  It was like listening to a lecture on the problems faced by
Russia, Ukraine, and eastern Europe -- delivered by a German academic in 1944
who doesn't bother to mention the German army.

It was painful to sit thru so much unrelieved fatuity.  One example (from a
target-rich environment):  the word "oil" was mentioned only once -- in regard
to Iraqi communities arguing about oil revenues.   When asked about that, the
speaker opined that one shouldn't "focus on one material thing"!

It's talks like this that bring richly-deserved opprobrium on the whole notion
of "political science": political science is to science as military music is to
music...  --CGE