[Peace-discuss] Re: [Peace] Re: Memorial in Champaign-Urbana

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Tue Jun 2 22:13:56 CDT 2009

Dr. Tiller was murdered Sunday 31 May in Wichita, Kansas.  On Monday 1 June US
Army Pvt. William Long was shot and killed outside a military recruiting office
in Little Rock, Arkansas, by a man opposed to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

If a vigil, prayerful or otherwise, is appropriate for Dr. Tiller, why is not
one also being organized for Pvt. Long?  The only reason I can see is that the
bien-pensant is in favor of Dr. Tiller's activities but opposed to those of Pvt.
Long.  The vigil therefore becomes a certain "propaganda of the deed."

In default of an adequate argument, war is no more justified by the
victimization of those who practice it than is abortion.  --CGE