[Peace-discuss] Re: [Peace] Re: Memorial in Champaign-Urbana

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Wed Jun 3 13:16:10 CDT 2009

Neil--

A large number of Dr. Tiller's procedures resulted in the premature ending of a
human life, the denial of a "future like ours." That phrase is used in what to
my mind is the best philosophical demonstration that abortion is unethical: Don
Marquis, "Why Abortion is Immoral," The Journal of Philosophy, 86:4.  There's a
summary at <www.bbc.co.uk/ethics/abortion/philosophical/future.shtml>:

"The claim that the primary wrong-making feature of a killing is the loss to the
victim of the value of its future has obvious consequences for the ethics of
abortion. The future of a standard foetus includes a set of experiences,
projects, activities, and such which are identical with the futures of adult
human beings and are identical with the futures of young children. Since the
reason that is sufficient to explain why it is wrong to kill human beings after
the time of birth is a reason that also applies to foetuses, it follows that
abortion is prima facie morally wrong."

I think you over-generalize a bit about the "pro-life movement."  There are of
course people who are opposed to abortion, the death penalty, and war (and I
agree that not to do so would be inconsistent).  See, e.g., Feminists for Life
<http://www.feministsforlife.org/>.

Solidarity indeed, Carl